Dual Band Interference Question(s) 2.4ghz, 5ghz and Wired

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sean_qwe

Hi,

I have a N600 Wireless Dual Band Router model WNDR3400. My question(s) is that if I connect with a wired cable, will I be connected to the 5ghz and avoid interference with those on the 2.4ghz connection?

For example, I have a wired connection with my Playstation 3 but i believe the Playstation 3 incapable of detecting the 5ghz when I do a wireless scan. Does this mean when I connect with a wired cable with the ps3 I use the 2.4ghz connection with other users and getting interference if they're doing something like streaming?

And finally, if my Laptop is unable to detect the 5.ghz connection does that mean I need some sort of adapter? Or does it have to do something with the settings. Its enabled and is on the default channel.

[Sorry one more question, where do I go to see who is currently using the internet connection in the setup]

etaf

Wayne
My question(s) is that if I connect with a wired cable, will I be connected to the 5ghz and avoid interference with those on the 2.4ghz connection?
if you connect by cable - you are not using the wireless signal at all and therefore will not have any wireless interference as it does not apply on a cable connection

And finally, if my Laptop is unable to detect the 5.ghz connection does that mean I need some sort of adapter? Or does it have to do something with the settings. Its enabled and is on the default channel.
you do need to have a 5ghz adapter - and it can be a setting in the network adapter
goto device manager and [+] on network adapters
click on the wireless adapter and right click properties
it should say on one of those tabs if you can change to 5ghz
[Sorry one more question, where do I go to see who is currently using the internet connection in the setup]
you would need to log into the router and look for a dhcp table - there will have all the devices that have connected to the router - by cable or wireless
Because of the lease system - how long they are assigned an ip address when they first connect, some device may no longer be connected

sean_qwe

-So if someone is ul/dl i shouldn't experience lag when gaming if connected by wire? I've read up on Dual Band and still dont quite understand it.

-And it shows that I have an Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2200. Says:

802.11n Channel width for band 2.4 [value 20MHZ only / other option =Auto]
802.11n Mode [enabled]
Guess that means it can only detect 2.4?

-ahh yes I see the devices.

I've just got a new problem. I've made a few changes and now the wireless keeps going on and off every 5mins. I've updated the firmware, but i forgot to make a back up before that. After the update i decided to make a backup even though i forgot. I then made these changes:

Enable wireless isolation for 2.4ghz and traffic meter enabled.
So i don't know why this is happening. Im guessing the firmware update did something. And now wenever i try to make changes it keeps saying "WPS process is in progress, please apply changes later". It was doing it all yesterday too. And it shows the blue light on the router flashing a certain pattern. I think, really not sure because it disconnects whenever sometimes, when the WPS process finishes all wireless devices get disconntected and then it starts the WPS process again and again. Only when it stops I can make changes, but it starts up again within 30 seconds.

What should i do? edit i've also tried to activate the WPS process manually and cancel it because some say it works, but it doesn't

etaf

Wayne
-So if someone is ul/dl i shouldn't experience lag when gaming if connected by wire?
you can still get lag - just not wireless interference as its not using wireless
I've read up on Dual Band and still dont quite understand it.
what dont you understand
Unlike ordinary routers that only support one wireless signal band, dual-band routers contain two different types of wireless radios.
Some newer 802.11n Wi-Fi routers also allow simultaneous dual band communication with both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz clients. By supplying separate network bandwidth for each of the two types of links
you could think of it as AM and FM on a radio
Guess that means it can only detect 2.4?
looks that way

Not sure about you router issue , appears to be the new firmware is corrupt - you could
1) Doing a factory reset - should be a reset button on the router - hold for 30 secs or more
2) try re-installing the firmware again
3) See if the website has an older version of the firmware available

sean_qwe

So being on separate signals will help with wireless interference? What's a list of benefits, any others? Only 2 devices in my household could use 5ghz.

And it seems like re-installing the older version helped with the constant disconnecting for now. Within the past 25mins it still hasn't disconnect where as before it would every 5-10min. Hopefully it stops completely. Thank you :)

etaf

Wayne
So being on separate signals will help with wireless interference?
yes, the 2.4 range can get quite busy - but we can often work with the channels (1-14 ) and see if we can minimize the issues
in the US - only 1-11 can be used
and channels 1, 6 and 11 do not overlap

lets see an xirrus screen shot
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
OR
2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/ or
if you want to optimise base station position and signal strength / dead spots use
http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/apgrapher/ which has a graph function to monitor signal
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online