1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Band Router Question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nuno, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nuno

Nuno Thread Starter

Hi all -
    I have a couple of questions if someone has some time to help.

I just purchased a new wireless router (Belkin N600) and it has dual bands 2.4 & 5.

It has the option to name each band's SSID differently. I currently have them set to the same name.

Here are my questions:
    1. If the components in my house are set to pick up and log into the SSID by default, will they automatically connect to whichever on is faster or less busy, or will they just log into one?

2. Should I be naming the SSID's differently and specifying which components connect to each one?

Does it make a difference?
    For reference, here's what's accessing the router:
    2 TiVo's
    1 Logitech Revue
    1 PS3
    2 Laptops
    2 Tablets

Thoughts? Am I overthinking this? If everything is working fine now, should I just leave it, or can I improve performance somehow?

Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Surely some of those devices only have 'a' or only have b,g or n adapters, so will only connect to the corresponding network. I have no experience with dual band adapters so I don't know what options you have with those. If I did have dual bands I would probably be naming the networks differently and would tell each device to which network I wanted to connect.

3. Nuno

Nuno Thread Starter

Got it..thanks. Do you think I could improve performance if I put the media devices (i.e. Tivo/Logitech Revue/PS3 on the 5 since it's less bogged down and has higher speeds and keep the PC's/Tablets on the 2.4...or does it really not make a difference?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Task No. 1, if you haven't done it already, is to make a list of which devices are capable of using 802.11a (5 GHz). For most people that list is very small.

The advantage of 802.11a is that there is much lower chance of getting interference from other networks in apartments, condos and other Wi-Fi crowded environments. Nominal connection speed is the same as 802.11g. The disadvantage is cost and shorter range, especially through obstacles. I have zero experience with it, and have already told you everything I know about it, so really cannot advise how to divvy up your devices.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/983382