1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dual band wifi card vs single band wifi card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by keega, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. keega

keega Thread Starter

Hi all,

I looked online and I'm still a bit confused whether I should get dual or single band wifi for a laptop that I would like to purchase. Can someone explain to offer a suggestion as to which one is best?

Thank you in advance.

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

do you mean a router
    or as part of the laptop spec ?

what router do you have and does it work in dual band simultaneously

the advantage of the 5ghz signal is if you are in a crowded 2.4ghz environment then 5ghz helps avoid interference - also the coverage is wider - although the 5ghz router i have linksys - does not seem to be

if your current router only works in 2.4ghz , then no advantage in the short term

some routers are advertised as dual band - but you have to choose between 2.4 or 5 ghz and so ALL devices will need to support 5ghz

3. charan5b3

charan5b3

mostly current router antenna's are single band that operate in 2.4 ghz frequency(which is unlicensed frequency) in which there are only 3 free(non overlapping ) channels 1,6,11 (u.s).that mean possible causes for interference near by home routers and home appliances. it transmit low speed and long distance.

i am not saying about 3.6ghz frequency

the other is 5.0 frequency ,which is licensed ,which can transfer high rates but short distance , and it is transparent waves can pass through wall ,

you can't access both bands at a time ,you can use any band at once.

i suggest dual band.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089376