1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual boot and TrueCrypt

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ZacSixChip, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ZacSixChip

ZacSixChip Thread Starter

I'm buying an SSD drive for my laptop and I'd like to dual boot Win7 and Ubuntu and use TrueCrypt to encrypt the whole drive but I don't know the order in which I should proceed. Should I...

A) Install Win7, install Ubuntu, encrypt the whole drive

B) Encrypt the whole drive, Install Win7, install Ubuntu (Is this possible when TrueCrypt is launched from within Windows?)

C) Install Win7, Encrypt the whole drive, install Ubuntu

Any suggestions?

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    You can't use TrueCrypt to encrypt Ubuntu or other Linux operating systems 'cos of a boot (Grub) conflict. You can encrypt Windows o/s if you want as explained here: http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=hidden-operating-system

O/S that can be run encrypted http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=supported-operating-systems

But both Windows & Linux can be used to create/operate hidden volumes.

Therefore, you could partition your hard drive so that you install Windows, then Ubuntu having left a large volume format NTFS that both Windows & Ubuntu can 'see' and access. You could create your TrueCrypt volume within that.

Just a thought.

Richard.

3. ZacSixChip

ZacSixChip Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Richard. In this case I don't really care about there being a shared drive or space that both OS's can see; nor do I really need Ubuntu to be encrypted - I only use Ubuntu as a "clean" environment to format flash drives that I have used on computers infected with viruses or things of that nature - I don't need any of my document or pictures from Windows to be viewable from within Ubuntu

So, if I wanted to dual boot Win7 and Ubuntu but I only wanted to encrypt Win7, would I follow the order of "C" in my original post? Create two partitions, install win7, encrypt win7 and then install ubuntu on the second partitian? If I did this, when the PC booted I would first see the Grub bootloader, then if I chose Win7 as my OS, then I would enter my TrueCrypt password, or am I wrong?

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice