1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual boot config using XP Pro and Server 2003

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mklangelo, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mklangelo

Mklangelo Banned Thread Starter

I have tried the following boot.ini and I get the choices during startup and when I choose XP Pro, it boots just fine. However when I choose Server 2003, nothing happens. Any ideas? Below is my current boot.ini configuration.

Thanks in advance! :)

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Server 2003" /fastdetect

Yes, the os's are on seperate Hard Drives. Is the problem with the switches?
    I'm stumped on this one. :confused:

Attached Files:

2. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

Have you had a look at this Mk

3. Mklangelo

I did see that article. All of what I could find on the subject pertains to dual-booting with the OS's on the SAME Hard Drive. I have them on two seperate Hard Drives. I installed the OS's seperatly on the same machine just swapping the Hard Drives as I need them. I have a little (One server and two clients) domain here that I use to prepare for my 70-290 test.

They refer in that article to missing or coruppted NTLDR file. Hell, I don't even get that far. Just a black screen. It's hanging up somewhere. I don't want to screw with the NTLDR file untill I'm sure that's the problem...

4. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

Ok how about, please bear with me while I consult the image.
    Format the unallocated and transfer Backup [D:] to that.
    Format D and install server on that.
    Format E and transfer the backup.
    If I'm talkin out of the back of my head then feel free to say so.
    I'm not up on networking.
    What do you think as even I don't know it all?

5. Mklangelo

Well, that would get both OS's on the same HDD. I'll look into it... I don't want to take a chance of losing anything on Active Directory since I have a bunch of stuff configured on it, Users, Organizational units...

6. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

Configure the unallocated into 2 partitions, it's big enough to accomodate both D and E as it were.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!