1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Boot disaster

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ReverendLoki, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ReverendLoki

ReverendLoki Thread Starter

I was attempting to resize my partition so that I could dual-boot my system. Once resizing was finished, I found that the partition software had decided to erase windows. Now, I can't re-install, as it seems my MBR is hosed.

I get through setup to the point where it is supposed to show partitioned and unpartitioned space, and asks you where you want to install Windows. All I see is

Unknown Disk
    (There is no disk in this drive.)

4 times in a row.

Please help me get my computer running again.

2. Rache

Rache Banned

3. ReverendLoki

I downloaded the boot disk, recreated a DOS partition and even ran an fdisk /mbr, but I still can't get windows to find any hard drives installed on my computer.

4. ReverendLoki

To wit:

My hard drive is set up as Master in my laptop.
    This is formatted, and I've set it to be the Active primary partition and bootable
    Even with this, Windows XP and 2K refuse to acknowledge its existence.

5. Rache

Rache Banned

When you run fdisk/mbr there should be no spaces, ie fdisk /mbr.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you are using win2k / XP, why are you using dos commands? There is never a need to use a win9x boot disk, dos boot disk, etc to install NT based os.

While your install maybe damaged beyond repair, you can try this.

Boot into the Recovery Console with either win2k or XP. Once in the RC, type
    "Fixboot"
    "Fixmbr"
    without quotes; pressing enter after each command.

Once that is finished, type "chkdsk /r" without quotes. There have been a few instances of chkdsk fixing a disk that PM has damaged.

When you are finished with that, type "diskpart" from diskpart, you can view your partition check the status of partitions, etc. You can also create a partition in unallocated space.

BTW I an not a fan of partition magic. If you really need to make a partition on a disk with data on it, try Acronis Disk Editor. It is a much better, more reliable program.

7. ReverendLoki

Ok, let me restate my problem, and what I've tried to do to fix it.

The major problem is that no OS can see my hard drive. If I put in my XP recovery disk, it'll start to set up and when I get to the screen asking me where I want to install, it shows that I have no hard drives. I managed to get around this by plugging in an external drive and installing on that. However, I get a 0x0000008E error. I've looked that up, done the RAM module shuffle, and nothing.

Then, I took out the hard drive and was able to slip it into an external casing and install XP on it via another system. I put it back in, and it gets a little farther this time. Now it tells me that it can't read from the selected boot disk.

Give it to me straight, will I have to send it back/take it in to the Geek squad for help?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If your system can't see the hard drive, I'd start by solving that problem. That appears to be a hardware issue. I suggest downloading the disk manufacturer's diagnostic for your brand of hard disk, and running that. Until you get a working hard disk, it's pretty hard to proceed.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice