1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual boot drive letters

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sync, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sync

sync Thread Starter

I added XP to a system that already had Vista. In the XP installation the Windows partition is F. The Vista partition shows up as C. I tried to change the drive letter of the Vista partition but it said you can't change the drive letter for a system volume.

Is there a way to install XP so that its functions as both the system and boot volumes.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    When you boot up how do you get into XP?

3. sync

sync Thread Starter

Through the Vista bootloader.

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    so what do you want, it to boot to XP by default?

5. sync

sync Thread Starter

When in XP I want the XP partition to show up as drive C. But after doing some research I see that I need a 3rd party boot manager to get that.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    If you do that you will NOT be able to access any of the files on the drive of the other OS as it will be hidden.

7. sync

sync Thread Starter

It is easy to unhide a partition for those rare occasions when I need to do that. I have separate data drives that won't be hidden.

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    NO, this is a DIFFERENT hide and both drives are considered to be the C drive, so you CAN NOT get to the other drive.

9. sync

sync Thread Starter

I don't know what you mean by a different hide.

In any windows installation only the partition that was active at the time of the install would be the C drive.

10. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    You must be using a third party booting product.

On my Dual booting systems I can see ALL of my drives, even those which have different OS's on them. I use the Windows boot controller.

I have XP on C, Vista Home on D, and Vista Premium on E. I could access any of the files fro any of the OS's and my home drive was what ever the OS was on, it was NOT always C.

11. sync

sync Thread Starter

That brings us back to why I started this thread. I want my home drive to always be C.

You are right that you can't do that without the help of a third party tool. It doesn't particularly have to be a boot manager but that certainly makes it easier. It could also be done with a recovery disk such as the one you can create with Acronis Disk Director.

12. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    It does REQUIRE a BOOT manager, but I do NOT have Acronis Disk Director so I will not comment on it and it's uses.

13. sync

sync Thread Starter

How are you defining boot manager?

All you need is a program that can set the active partition. If you have a copy of DOS that you can boot from, FDISK would work.

14. sync

sync Thread Starter

For any given OS you have a system partition and a boot partition. When you first install an OS on a computer the system partition and the boot partition are the same.

If you then install a second OS, the way you did it, then the system partition stays the same and the boot partition changes for that OS. In that case, you need a boot manager.

However, you can set the new partition as active prior to installing the second OS. In that case, both the system and the boot partition change for that OS and they are the same. In this scenario, you do not need a boot manager. All you need to do is to do is make the partition that you want to boot active.

15. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    "All you need is a program that can set the active partition"
    That is CALLED a BOOT Manager.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!