1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Boot, First XP Home, Then XP Pro, Finally Vista, but no Vista boot.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by wiffyman, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wiffyman

wiffyman Thread Starter

My System has an Athlon XP 1.4 GHz Processor, 768 Mb Ram, and 2 IDE harddrives.

I started off with Windows XP Home, which was pre-loaded on the original 40 Gb IDE Hard drive.

Then I installed a second 200 Gb IDE drive, partitioned the drive into 3 partitions, and installed XP PRO into the first one. Dual boot works fine for home and pro operating systems.

Finally I installed Windows Vista Home edition into , which completed with no errors.

Both XP Pro and Home edition operating systems are still working but when windows vista is selected from the multi boot menu the following error messages are displayed and vista will not boot.

File : \windows\system32\winload

Info: The Selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

Putting the installation disk (as the instructions say) to do a repair has no effect, and the installation DVD works fine on my other machine.

Could the problem be related to the boot drive (40Gb Drive) being different to to the Vista installation drive (200Gb Drive)?

2. horsecharles

horsecharles

See if this offers a clue..i've edited it a bit...credit goes to: agonified @ http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=801428&SiteID=17

1) Boot into XP...(can also be done w/ Vista DVD. Just press Shift+F10 when it asks for language/keyboard map.)

2) In command prompt go to the drive containing Vista installation and point to the \Windows\System32 folder.

3) Run 'bcdedit.exe /enum' and see your boot configuration. Try to find 'device' and 'osdevice' settings under 'Windows Boot Loader' part. For me device was 'partition=C:' which was wrong, and osdevice was 'unknown'. I solved the problem by setting both device and osdevice to the drive letter(E:) containing 'Vista' drive in 'Xp' installation;

bcdedit.exe /set {default} device partition=E:

bcdedit.exe /set {default} osdevice partition=E:

If the Vista is not default on your boot list,your exact command will be different than mine. You should see an 'identifier' for each entry in the list when you run 'bcdedit.exe /enum'. Vista was default for me so you should change the '{default}' part in the commands for your needs. Also the drive letter containing Vista can be different on your machine. When I boot into Xp, Vista files are sitting in the E: drive. So you should change it in your command also. If setting both to the same partition does not work, I would try pointing them to the other partitions.

Good luck!

3. wiffyman

wiffyman Thread Starter

I followed the instructions, and I noticed that the drive that the Vista boot loader was pointing to already matches where the Home edition thinks it is (Drive E:).

I originally asked if something was wrong with the way that my drives are configured so
    I've attached screen shots of what the drive details are from both XP Home and XP Pro, if there's something wrong with that please advise.

the output from bcdedit looks like this:

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier {bootmgr}
    device partition=C:
    description Windows Boot Manager
    locale en-US
    inherit {globalsettings}
    default {default}
    displayorder {6702ebc2-8792-11db-8af1-e4212dbb197e}
    {default}
    {ntldr}
    toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
    timeout 3

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier {6702ebc2-8792-11db-8af1-e4212dbb197e}
    device partition=E:
    path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    description Microsoft Windows Vista
    locale en-US
    inherit {bootloadersettings}
    bootdebug No
    osdevice partition=E:
    systemroot \Windows
    resumeobject {6702ebc3-8792-11db-8af1-e4212dbb197e}
    nx OptOut
    pae ForceDisable
    detecthal Yes
    vga No
    quietboot No
    sos No
    debug No

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier {default}
    device partition=E:
    path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    description Vista Debug
    locale en-US
    inherit {bootloadersettings}
    bootdebug Yes
    osdevice partition=E:
    systemroot \Windows
    resumeobject {ebd674b3-8789-11db-bf8b-a12b06a01e7e}
    nx OptOut
    pae ForceDisable
    detecthal Yes
    vga No
    quietboot No
    sos No
    debug No

Windows Legacy OS Loader
    ------------------------
    identifier {ntldr}
    device partition=C:
    path \ntldr
    description Earlier Version of Windows

and the boot.ini :

;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

Attached Files:

4. horsecharles

horsecharles

Try editing Vista partition letter from E to F.

5. wiffyman

wiffyman Thread Starter

Tried changing the partition letter from E to F, and I got the 0xc000000f error code. There are 2 interesting things that I've noticed

1) Vista selection "Microsoft Windows Vista" which still points to E has the error code 0xc0000001

2) When I run bcdedit in the XP Pro operating system it shows F: instead of E:, except for the default "Windows Vista Debug" it shows H:

Did you notice that the drive letters that XP Pro and XP Home has are different for the same devices???

I'm Beginning to think that the error code 0xc0000001 does not mean cannot find Vista, it means cannot load what it finds....

6. downtime

downtime

Changing partition letters doesn't seem to help. I've been reading about using bootsect on the vista install disk with the bootsect /nt60 <target_drive> command. It seems to work when vista installed the bootloader to a disk other than the one the machine boots from. Try going in to your bios and set the boot order to boot off the disk you have labeled internal data storage. What is the result?

7. wiffyman

wiffyman Thread Starter

Is this the correct documentation.
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/49ded4da-b66f-4b42-9563-04c218a1a6ac1033.mspx?mfr=true

Furthermore, when you say "bootloader" :confused: do you mean \windows\system32\winload.exe?

Will what you suggest potentially corrupt the XP Home and or XP Pro partitions?:confused:

8. downtime

downtime

No, not winload.exe, that file is pointed to by the bootsector, even if the file is there, but the partition orders vista saw when it installed have changed, vista won't boot. It can recover from some drive letter changes, but it's picky. That's why I suggested changing the boot order in the bios to see if Vista will boot or give you a different error message before doing anything. So changing the boot disk in the bios won't change anything, but give you a successful boot, or another error message. That way you may be able to determine if vista installed it's bootsector to disk 1, and the bootsect command will repair it.

9. wiffyman

wiffyman Thread Starter

I swapped the drives around, and got the error (from the bios?) Error loading os, with Vista Boot

10. downtime

downtime

I meant swap the drive boot order in the bios, not the physical cables. You still got to choose the OS at startup with the cables swapped?

11. wiffyman

wiffyman Thread Starter

I'm sorry I didn't make clear what I did, I went into the Bios and changed the boot order from 40GB first, then 200 GB, finally Bootable cards to 200GB first, then 40GB first the finally bootable cards.

I did not open the case nor swap the cables...

12. downtime

downtime

Ok.
    That makes things clearer. The error loading os, did it say insert a boot disk....?
    http://www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html
    This is a good page describing the vista boot process.
    Thie next page describes how to get around the vista bootmanager.
    http://www.multibooters.co.uk/cloning.html
    I know these pages will probably add confusion to your present situation, but if you're really interested, you need something like acronis to create images you can put back when an experiment fails. I've multi booted up to 13 os, MS, Linux, Beos, using xosl, but every new version of windows starts a new learning curve, as they insist on only multibooting their own os's. And that usually sucks.
    It's pretty hard when you're trying to diagnose things on a bulletin board, it's as much communication as it is knowledge.
    If you could look at the partitions with a partition manager, when you try to boot to vista, is it the active partition?

13. horsecharles

horsecharles

Yeah...couldn't understand that-- have only seen that when 9x is in the mix, as it can't see the ntfs partitions....

Vista could be doing the same, as far as the letters....I would keep subbing drive letters..C, D, etc....try them all...

Otherwise, the only thing i can think of is to copy XP's boot files to Vista root & vice-versa, so:
    ntldr and ntdetect.com from Home root to vista &:

bootmgr file and Boot folder( which contains BCD files) from Vista root to Home's...

Don't have much to offer.....

BTW one caveat once you're up & running: XP could wipe your Vista Restore points.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/568049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice