1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual-boot install problem (Expanding Files 0%, error 0x80070017)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by clara17, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clara17

clara17 Thread Starter

Hey folks,

I've had my Gateway T1628 laptop for a year. When I first got it, it came with Vista installed, but I wiped the drive completely and installed Linux instead. I've been happily using Linux for the past year and have no reason to think there are any hardware problems.

But, now I want to dual-boot Vista/Linux -- installing Vista from the re-installation disc that came with the laptop. I tried using this guide: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_linux_is_already_installed.htm. But alas, when I get to the "Installing Windows" screen, it hangs at "Expanding files (0%)". When I leave it overnight, it shows an error screen with error number 0x80070017 (and a message saying that the installation failed due to file transfer problems -- sorry, I did not write down the exact message).

Googling this error I find a lot of people who were installing from a badly burned iso -- but I'm trying to install from the disc that came with the laptop, not one I burned myself. People have also suggested removing some RAM if you have more than 2G (I have 3) -- but this is a laptop that I don't really want to open up (not sure I would even know how to take out RAM), and you'd think that since it came with Vista its hardware would already be suitable.

So the other option that seemed likely based on my searches was a problem with the partition I'm trying to install to. I've spent the past few days trying about fifty billion different ways to blank it, format it, blank it and format it, move it, etc. etc. etc... no dice :(

Sorry for the huge post, but hopefully someone can give me some advice!

thanks!!

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

I'd call the company and ask for a new set of disks. They can burn bad disks too. Jazz

3. clara17

clara17 Thread Starter

Thanks -- I may try that if I can't get something else to work.

I blanked my new partition more fully with the Linux command dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 (where sda1 is the blank partition I want to use Windows on), and right now it's partway through the expanding files process, which never happened before -- so I'm making progress! :)

If this works, I'm guessing that there were remnants of the Linux bootloader hanging around that confused Vista.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/808141

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice