1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Boot: Need to Reinstall OS on one but different OS

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Iceblade7, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Iceblade7

Iceblade7 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

This is probably an easy solve but here is my situation:
    Drive D: Windows XP Professional 64Bit
    Drive F: Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
    Drive D shows as System and Active Drive
    Drive F shows as Boot Drive
    Drive G is Data
    All drives are Primary and physical drives all drives are also NTFS when running Disk Manager
    Dual Booting system

Here is what I need to do:
    I want to uninstall or format Drive D and install Windows XP Professional 32bit so I can have an OS that runs my older games I have not played or played in a while.

A few Questions I have:
    1. How can I tell what drive controls the Boot Block, is that the system active drive (D) or the Boot drive (F)
    2. Can I make Drive F System and Active? (will that destroy the Master Boot Block)
    3. Is the master boot block the same as what controls the Dual boot?
    4. Is there any way to make Win7 my C drive and the new Winxp32bit my D drive like normal people...lol

Note: I think I got to this condition where I dont have a C drive by having my C drive go bad and I recreated my MBB to point to the Windows 7 disk.
    Getting old, cant remember diddly. LOL

Thanks for your help in advance!!!!!

2. techhoney

techhoney

Installing a dual boot is easy with windows xp and windows 7.You do not need to do anything because while you install windows it will take care of the boot loader.
    My suggestion is to install windows xp over windows 7.
    First install windows xp and then install windows 7.Do not upgrade from windows xp but install a new setup with windows 7.
    After that you can see the dual boot.You can control dual boot on windows xp and not on windows 7.
    Hope it helps.

3. Iceblade7

Iceblade7 Thread Starter

I probably should have explained this a bit more. I already have the system dual booted, in the current configuration above, I want to rid myself of the Windows XP 64 bit and make it Windows XP 32bit. My issue is im not sure what will happen to the Master Boot Record which I believe is contained on the F drive in this case. However if it happens that it is on the D drive(dont have a C drive) then I would wipe out that MBR and have to rebuild it. Not sure which OS is controlling that now and dont want to lose the F Drive at all.

Using a comment I found here about the Win7 bcdedit program I did find out that the Windows Boot Manager is on Drive D which is the win XP 64bit and the one I need to reinstall Win32bit. So I guess then my main question would be:

1. If I install Windows Xp Pro 32 bit on a formatted D drive (therefore wiping out the bootloader) will I be able to get the install to recognize that I have Win7 installed and Dual boot or will it not recognize it and make me recreate my F drive?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    After installing XP you will likely be able to boot to it, and nothing else. You can then use the Windows 7 Installation DVD to repair the MBR (regain your dual boot).

Your discussion of C, D, etc., "drives" is totally confusing to me. Are they each a hard drive, or each is a partition on one hard drive? Are they names that you have assigned to each hard drive or partition?

5. tonycap

tonycap

I think all you should have to do is boot from the 32-bit Win xp CD. Delete the partition that the 64-bit xp is on, and repartition it, and install the xp 32-bit on it. It should work. The drive with the operating system you are curently in at the time will always show as the C: drive.

6. Iceblade7

Iceblade7 Thread Starter

They are each a separate drive. No, I originally had C-winXP32bit, D-winXP64bit, (both IDE drives) then later added 2 Serial ATA 2 Drives Drive G-Win7_64Bit and F my data drive, then my C drive died and I just redid the MBR to make the D drive the Master Boot Drive, wished I had done it on F then I wouldn't have this issue.

7. tonycap

tonycap

Sorry, I have a dual boot on one 500 GB Drive. XP, Win 7, and a data drive, three partitions. Since drives a so cheap now, you may want to get a 500 GB or Terabyte, and put it all on one drive. I bought a 1 TB for $79.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice