1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual boot not happening

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by maxmelbin, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maxmelbin

maxmelbin Thread Starter

Hi

I tried to install Linux on a system which already had Win Xp on it on NTFS partitions ...
    It was a 80 GB HDD with around 9 partitions ..
    I deleted the last partition and tried to create linux partitions , it did not allow me to do that saying that the boot partition > 1024 cylinders ..
    i then used fdisk to create these partitions and installed Linux ..
    but when i rebooted i found that i only had linux boot option , windows bot option had gone .There was no option during install as to whether i need a dual boot or no , or which boot loader i need (usually it asks) ..

I has to reinstall Xp and now i have only XP boot option ... I have a Linux Bootable floppy .. so i can live , but i want to know how to make it a dual boot ...
    REd Hat Linux 7.1
    Regards
    Maxmelbin

2. dago

dago

Hey maxmelbin,
    what happen is your Red Hat 7.1 is some old now.

Don't know for sure, but probably is using LILO as bootloader and that limits the root partition to be before the 1024th cylinder.

That means your last partition is too far from the disk beggining to install that Linux.

Now you have fallen back your system so no further help is need it. But considering your situation, I would choose another Linux distribution.

That's totally personal. If you want to consider my opinion, I would say:

Debian, definitely not.
    Mandrake is very good. http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=29
    Suse, probably the best, but is not possible to download it for free over the net.
    Conectiva is the one: ftp://ftp.unicamp.br/pub/conectiva/iso/
    - Red Hat based
    - good drivers (the only one worked my Nvidia card in one shot)
    - lots of Windows codecs
    - plays DVDs!! (Suse does not, you have to patch it)
    - read and write stable support for NTFS partitions

Another tip: do not use Fedora. After Red Hat has gone only payed, they left a very buggy and non friendly system -- my opinion, of course.

Probably all of them would handle your >1024 cylinder problem and boot both Linux and WinXP.

3. saikee

saikee

I got my Linux from web site downloads and have never ran into the 1024 cylinder limit. Modern Linux distros have overcome this problem already and I agree with Dago that RH 7.1 may be too old. My RH is version 9. In Lilo if it accepts "lba32" then the 1024 limit has been solved.

To include Windows for dual boot, assuming it is in the first primary partition is to add the following lines

If RH 7.1 uses Grub then it will have /boot/grub/menu.lst. Edit this file to append these 3 lines

title This is my Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

If RH 7.1 uses Lilo as bootloader then it will has /etc/lilo.conf. Append these two lines to this file

other=/dev/hda1
    label="Windows_XP"

4. maxmelbin

maxmelbin Thread Starter

thanx guys ..
    i will a get a later version of RH ..

and i will modify the lilo.conf file in case i run into trouble again ..

Max

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice