1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual-boot OEM Windows XP Home and Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by johnervin, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnervin

johnervin Thread Starter

I have a four year old eMachines that has expired and isn't worth repairing. I would like to use the OEM Windows XP Home restore disc from this computer to dual-boot my Vista machine (HP Pavilion a1730n). Is this:

1. possible?
    2. ethical?

I want to do this because I can't use many of my programs on the Vista machine. If I can dual-boot the eMachines restore disc I can use Windows Home until vendors catch up with Vista.

I don't know anything about dual-booting; is there a site where I get full instructions, including partitioning?

Can it be done without re-loading Vista?

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Well it is not exactly legal to use the OEM from an e-Machine on another computer or actually from any other manufacturer either, besides it more than likely will not work basically because the recovery disks are sometimes made or written for a specific processor. If you are getting or already have a machine with Vista on it why do you need Windows XP?

You would have to reload Vista anyways, unless you used another hard drive for the dual boot for XP. You would have to purchase a new copy of XP to be legal.

3. johnervin

johnervin Thread Starter

"If you are getting or already have a machine with Vista on it why do you need Windows XP?"

I'm having problems with a lot of older programs that I don't want to have to replace (they worked fine with XP). Even my 4 year old HP scanner will not be upgraded to Vista!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "...unless you used another hard drive for the dual boot for XP"

I can install the eMachines hard drive on the HP computer with XP already on it, but like you say, there could be a 64-bit vs. 32-bit conflict.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The more I think about it, the more I feel eMachines is the unethical party. If their computers won't last but 4 years without requiring repairs costly enough to rival the purchase price of a new bare-bones computer, then their O/S should be transferrable. The problem is not actually with eMachines, but with the pressure applied from Windows to protect their precious product even to the point of denying a purchaser the right to honestly transfer his purchase from a dead machine to a live one so as to continue to use what he paid for.

But I think you're right, it probably won't work short of a professional hacking job. The CD says it can't be used on anything but an eMachines, but I think the .iso could be busted by Isobuster and it could be executed to doomsday on any number of computers using a 32-bit processor :D. Not worth the trouble.

All I wanted to do in the first place was to use XP for another year or so until Vista was more useable. I've owned two eMachines; one suffered a catastrophic failure after 3 years, the other after 4 years. Not good!

4. arreche1

arreche1

I totally sympathize with you. I just had to send back a brand new HP laptop (crashed & burned) and got a totally dif laptop with vista. NO CHOICE! The day vista came out Microsoft pulled ALL computers with xp and nobody (that I know of) sells computers with XP. This would be find except, I (like you) am totally MAD about having to buy a BUNCH of new software (Quickbooks, Partition Commander, ect, ect, ect) becuz they are not Vista compatible. Let alone Skype (although version 2.6 does work, what a pain!) my scanners, printers and the list goes on and on. I AM MAD!!!! I have 5 other computers all on XP, so now I have to SWITCH and buy brand new everything. I don't think so, I will do whatever it takes to dual boot my vista, although so far I am stumped, becuz most of the drivers that came with the new laptop will not work with xp. Any ideas out there. I totally agree about the ethical thing, but when is enough enough????????????

5. pick1e

pick1e

johnervin,

If you are still montoring this thread and haven't yet tried it, YES it is possible. I'm currently on an XP installation that occurred after my Vista installation.

What you need to do is:
    1. resize your Vista partition
    2. load windows xp in the empty space
    3. manually modify the boot record.

This article has great info and explains how to do it, worked like a charm for me:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

Yes you can install a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit machine. The reverse is not true.

Your installation disk may use disk imaging, such as Ghost, instead of a windows installation disk. If that's the case you need to get a OEM disk from someone.

Ethics of using your OEM XP license: Reading the terms strictly, yea, it's against the terms. But really, MS would be happy to have you use your actual old code than use a hacked corporate version which so many people do. I'd just use it, you paid for it- especially if you're using it on a single PC when the old one is dead. You will have to call the phone system to get an activation code since it will be activated to your old machine.

Hope this helps. I ran across that KB article earlier and thought I'd help ya out :cool:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice