1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Boot or Format?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PCfixer, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCfixer

PCfixer Thread Starter

I posted a couple of threads earlier about a problem with my XP Pro upgrade not playing any of my games, I've tried all I can think of including uninstalling drivers and reinstalling them, installing the 4 in 1 Hyperion drivers incase it was a chipset confliction etc. All with no success, and no one has come back to me with an answer........So its alternative option time.
    All my games played just fine on 98SE, no probs, but the network connection to the computer down stairs was rubbish, it would lock up, close and ingnore etc Now I've put XP Pro on the network and the computer for that fact all work better than ever (except for games) So what about dual booting my PC? 98SE for games and XP Pro for the rest, do we think this might be the answer or hit the uninstall button in add and remove for XP Pro to revert back to 98SE or a fresh format with XP Pro, hard to know which way to turn.
    If anyone can offer any advice on which option to take its worth noting that I'm not sure how to do any of these options, so try and keep it simple, like my mind....here's my spec

Soltek SL-75KAV/-X socket A MB
    512 SD RAM
    AMD Tbird 900
    PNY Verto 64mb 4200 ti AGP card
    ADSL connection via Ethernet

Its a strange problem, but I know I'm not on my own with this prob, I've spent weeks reading threads on many forums with similar sounding problems of XP just shutting down. I can't understand how the rest of the computer works five times better than its ever done, very stable and very fast, but whenever I try to play a game, the intro loads and the game plays for all of 5 seconds and then either just shuts down or locks up.
    Just a thought, is there a chance that it may be my PSU, I only mention this because when I upgraded my AGP card last year I also upgraded my PSU from 250w to 350w just to run the card, this acording to PNY was the minimum for running the card, would XP Pro just be asking a little too much from my PSU? I'm probabley just clutching at straws, but I'm running out of time and patience with this problem and it would a be a shame to have to go back to the ways of 98SE.
    I placed the XP Pro disc back in the machine last night to see if there was an option to format C, but I couldn't see that so if anybody has a clue what to next let me know please
    Thanks in advance
    PS. Am I right in thinking that because I upgraded 98SE to XP Pro that going to add/remove and uninstalling XP Pro will revert back to 98SE?10pt

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. PCfixer

PCfixer Thread Starter

Thanks for replying with the link, not many websites left like this, devoid of all advertising and straight to the point.
    I'm off to push and pull the AGP card and poke anything else with a connection, just to make sure that nothing has come loose, and to check out my OpenGL. The computer says this enabled but I did manage to make one game work, what make this game demo so special, I have no idea.
    But dual booting does seem the way and your link seems to cover all the bases.
    Thanks a lot, the sun will shine once again in Yorkshire....Cheers Dave

4. Dan O

Dan O

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

I dual boot because of some games and study guides just will not work in XP. You can set a short timer in the boot menu to make it less painful.

5. hannas

hannas

how old are the games you are playing? i run XP pro and have had few probs with games. This might be a stupid question but have you tried to install and play the games on a pc that has been clean installed with xp - i am always a bit dodgy on upgrades - i always clean install and seem to have less probs with software than some others.

6. PCfixer

PCfixer Thread Starter

Thank's for replying Hannas, all my games are modern and up to date, GTA Vice, NOLF 2, Tron 2, Midnight Club etc etc
    Strangely I have found one game demo that will play, Star Trek Elite Force 2? So maybe its an OpenGL prob.
    I'm off to give everything inside the machine a push and pull just to make sure something isn't loose, but I think a clean install of XP Pro may be the answer, however I didn't see that as an option on the disc for XP Pro, how do I do a clean instal?
    Cheers! Dave

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!