1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual boot question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by moozer, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

Hi,

At present I'm dual booting Windows 98 SE and Windows XP. I'm getting rid of the drive containing 98 and getting a new drive and was wondering if there is a quick and easy way of having the PC boot up into XP without having to reinstall (we all know what a painful process that can be!!!). If I have to re-install it's gonna be a massive job due to me having every security hotfix and critical update, etc.

Can I simply switch the boot.ini file from the 98 drive to the current XP drive? Is there a link someone can post for me to follow?

Any help greatly appreciated

2. Crusnik

Crusnik

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

See how the default matchs the XP multi, disk, rdisk, and partition? Just edit your default to match the XP info instead of the 98 info.

3. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

I thought of that but thought also that it wouldn't work. would this affect the boo.ini file on XP drive though?
    If not, then would I be okay to do the above and then remove the old drive and insert the new one without problems?

4. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

There's also, surely, the question of the ntldr file as well and maybe other required files?

5. Crusnik

Crusnik

Let me get on the same page, I may be confused =).

So you're getting rid of the Windows 98 drive and putting in a new hard drive. Is Windows 98 going to be on this new hard drive, or is it just for space?

6. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

i'm leaving 98 behind now so new drive will be for storage

7. Crusnik

Crusnik

It'd try editing the boot.ini in XP, shut down the PC, unplug power from the 98 drive, and see if you can boot.

If you're unable to boot, try booting up the XP disk into the repair consol and typing in bootcfg /rebuild.

8. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

A sterling idea!! Thanks - I'll try shortly and let you know. Cheers

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice