1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual -- BOOT questions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rome87, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rome87

rome87 Thread Starter

HI

Im thinking of adding Vista home edition 64 bit to my existing xp home installation on the same HD so i can dual boot im just thinking how much hastle it is.

Can you help me ?

1.If vista and xp are on the same HD and im on xp for example will i be able to play a game or open a file that i installed on VIsta ?

2.Ive heard that when adding Vista/xp in to dual boot its possible that a usb keyboard might not work when installing the os is this true ? if tht is the case what can been done about it ?

3.Ive got a 8800GTX GPU and when i installed the drivers for it i was on xp does this mean that there would be two differnt sets of GPU drivers needed 1 for Vista 64 bit and 1 for XP ?

thxs for your time :)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

1.) No. The program needs to be installed in both.

2.) Not usually a problem, but you can use a PS/2 kb temporarily if needed.

3.) Different OS's means different drivers. The setups are completely separate and non-interactive.

3. rome87

rome87 Thread Starter

Hi again

Im gonna use a second HD for storage if i put all my files on that seperate Hd would i be able to access the files on it by both os ?

2. I dont have a ps/2kb keyboard is there anyway of fixing the usb controller if it did happen ?

can you recormend me a good free partion programme ?

thx again :)

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Vista and XP can both access either NTFS or FAT32 drives so your storage will be accessaible from both.

For just creating partitions, you can use XP's setup. During the setup, you can remove all the partitions from your drive(s), create new ones, and format them (though you should just format the one you are installing XP into and format the rest from the OS after it is installed). You don't really need any partitioning software.

After XP is up and running, boot up from the Vista DVD and install that.

5. rome87

rome87 Thread Starter

So after i installed vista on a partion will it create a boot menu automaticlly at boot saying xp or vista and press enter ?

if not wat has to be done to the boot config ?

On the partion with vista on it will i need to install the mobo drivers againlike i did with xp ?

thx

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Vista bill detect XP and create the dual-boot menu.

The systems are totally independent. You will need a complete set of drivers for both.

7. rome87

rome87 Thread Starter

hi I have run into some problems booted with xp cd in went up to the partitioned menu and tryed to create a partition on the drive with xp already on it but it says THE UNPARTITIONED SPACE IS RESERVED FOR XP

its saying i have 60 gigs free on the only partion i have on tht HD with 8mb unpartitioned space. how do I make 30 gigs of that avalible for new partitoned ?

thx

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you want to clear the hard drive completely? Can you remove all the partitions during setup?

9. rome87

rome87 Thread Starter

dont wont to if i have to, remove the primary installation of xp on the main partition is there a way of adding another partition without interfering with the xp installaion ?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm a little confused. You already have XP installed, right? So why are you running setup again? It sounds like all you need to do is install Vista. You can partition with Vista setup just so long as you leave the XP partition alone.

11. rome87

rome87 Thread Starter

yes i already have xp on the HD I only have one partition which has xp on.

How do you create a new partition with vista setup alongside the partition with xp on before you install vista on beacuse atm its says i have 60 gigs free on the primary partition which has xp on and also says 8.0mb unallocated space whats next ?

thx

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

That 8MB is just a storage space for the partitioning process and you can ignore it.

OK. Then you will need to use some thrid-party partitioner if you want to change your partitions and still keep XP on it the way it is. Vista and XP can't do it without data loss during setup.

Do you have any partitioning tools that run from CD?

13. rome87

rome87 Thread Starter

no, do you know any good free tools that can add partition etc ?

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is a free one that people have reported success with, but it is less reliable on NTFS systems than on other file systems. Those who have had problems with it have not read the documentation that comes with it. There are steps to be followed when using it on NTFS systems, like running chkdsk /r on your drive and defragmenting it before using the tool. If you follow those directions, you should be able to split your XP partition and create a new one for Vista (or 2 new ones with one for shared data).

As with all tools, you should be sure you have a backup of anything you want to save in case you lose it. If you can make an image of your entire XP partition, that would be the best thing to do.

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)

15. rome87

rome87 Thread Starter

Hi i have some questions about this i would be grateful if you could answer them

What programme do you recormend to make complete xp backup and burn it ?

If i get Nortan partition magic 8.05 will this split the xp installation and allow me to make a new partition with 25 gigs space without messsing with the xp partition ?

thanks once again :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice