Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dual Boot to Single Boot

634 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  llsee 
#1 ·
Howdy: I installed Linux Mint on an older laptop about 18 months ago. I installed it in a dual boot mode with the original Win 7 O/S. I've been using the system as a media server. After 18 months, I see no reason to keep the Win 7 partition anymore. I haven't booted up Windows in over a year, and frankly there is nothing I need on the system that I can't do in Linux. Is it possible to remove the dual boot option by deleting the Windows partition, or do I need to reinstall Linux?

#3 ·
I would have simply deleted the windows partition by using GParted and rebuild the GRUB. Don't remove /boot or /boot/efi or /recovery stay clear of these partitions. And always make backups before you do any major changes in the system files.

#4 ·
Rather than trying to delete the partition and, as I usually do, create more work for myself, I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade the old disk drive to an SSD and installed Linux Mint 20. I was on 19.3, but a fresh install of 20 seemed like the way to go. Only thing I didn't realize is that they dropped Chromium. You can still install it, but it is no longer in the Mint supported software. Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.