1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dual boot vista and xp

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by grrantry, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grrantry

grrantry Thread Starter

ok so what I have done I have a laptop and I made a complete image of the HD with winxp first! I installed Vista and everything is nice and boots! But now I want to dual boot with my External drive useing my Disk image!! So what I have tried was restore my XP image on my external and go to the bios and make that the main boot. but no go so is there another way of doing this!! with out haveing to reinstall XP then restoreing the image? please help thank you

2. MMJ

MMJ Guest

In your current setup it would be very hard to dualboot vista and xp. You should have installed xp than vista. :)

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Will your machione boot at all from an external drive?

The usual method is to install the oldest OS first. Then the newer detects the older and makes an automatic boot menu.

Do you have partitions available on your main drive for both? If so, you should restore XP to one of them and then insrtall Vista to the other. Vista will create the dual-boot menu.

Not sure why you would consider installing XP and then restoring the image--the restoration would destroy the installation (with most imaging apps) and the installation will have been a complete waste of time. What kind of image do you have?

4. grrantry

grrantry Thread Starter

My Laptop has the option to boot off usb in the Bios
    And I Used true image to make the image cause it detects External HD's.. I do have a 10 gig Partion on my laptop but that is used to back up files and all that!! Thanks for the fast response!! When I restore the XP image on to the Portable and when it tries to boot off it it eather gives me Messed up Charactors or Non system disk. thank you

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you explain in some detail how you restored the Acronis image to the external drive? If the image is valid, you may still not be able to boot from it since it came from a different location, but you should get further along, possibly far enough along to repair the problems, than strange characters and non-system disk errors.

Is it too difficult for you to disconnect the internal drive to simplify the process (most probably very difficult, but you can decide that)?

It may not be possible to set up a normal dual-boot with that external drive in the sense that Vista will provide you with a menu and you choose. But you should be able to boot XP from the external if your machine supports it and then just disconnect the drive if need be when you want to boot Vista.

6. grrantry

grrantry Thread Starter

yes that is what I was hopeing to do but with no avail and it seems that when I went to restore the image to the external it would get corrupt€!! so I decided to try and put it on my 10 gig partition then it went crazy some how it switched my drive letters around eg(C: is Vista 60 gig Part D: winxp 10 gig partition) then it went the other way around (c: winxp 10 gig partition D:/ vist 60 gig) boy was a pain to fix would not boot winxp completly so now I have it back to normal Win vista booting fine And winxp is on my D partition. so I tried VistaBootPRO 3.1 to make a boot menu and it said I was missing the winxp boot.ini and some other file!

I hope this helps

7. TechB

TechB

No versions of Windows support booting from removable media except WinPE and even that has problems with USB although it can be made to work. You can install Virtual PC and keep the virtual machine that runs XP (or any OS) on a USB drive. If you do get XP to boot from a USB device of any description please post the details of how to do it. Many people have tried and failed.

8. grrantry

grrantry Thread Starter

well going to try something different!! I read it somewhere What I am doing is take out the original HD from laptop and putting in another HD I was useing in an external case so I am going to put my winxp image on that then put it back in the Encloser and see if that works!! So wish me luck on that :D will get back to you after to tell you how it went

9. techy689

techy689

All right, I have a 100gb hard drive on my laptop, and until I get enough money to buy a second internal hard drive I wanted to ask your guys' opinion.

Firstly, I will be receiving Vista on the 30th of Jan, and want my computer to be set up and ready to go.

I want to be able to dual boot between Vista and XP Home.

This is what I was thinking of doing:

Keeping 60gb for Vista

40gb for XP

and 10gb for data to be shared between the booth

if you have any recommendations, or think i shouldn't set up dual boot let me know. thanks.

10. grrantry

grrantry Thread Starter

well that almost worked!! Starts to boot off of external then a blue screen pops up for like a half a sec then reeboots!!! So close yet so far!! I think I can Clone it to the partition though and get it to work that way!!!!!

11. grrantry

grrantry Thread Starter

well that didn't work it was saying I was missing hal.dll??? what ever that is

12. grrantry

grrantry Thread Starter

ok here is another question Since I have a and Image of winxp backed up What if.. I make an image back of win vista Restore winxp on to main and install vista to secon partion (for boot menu) and restore vista image to the partition I installed Vista on!! would that work??

13. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I would suggest, as you are in the installation phase, that you start over. Install XP in the root 11gbs partiton (I presume it is the root partition. Now boot the Vista DVD from within XP in order to install it, this will ensure that it sets itself up in D: You will then find you have xp in C: and Vista in D. with a dual boot menu. You can then use acronis to see what you can salvage from your original image.

14. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Technically that should work but chances are you will have problems. Try it. :)

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have Universal Restore with your Acronis package, use it to restore the image instead of a straight restoration. Acronis will strip all the drivers from the image and allow it to redetect the hardware and correct HAL. I have used this to restore images to completely different machines (Gateway to Dell and Compaq) and the restorations have booted and run successfully every time.

This is an excellent method of rolling out identical XP installations (with programs and settings all set up) to a number of completely different machines using a single Acronis image.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!