1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual boot W/98 and Wxp Home

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Jcaleno, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jcaleno

Jcaleno Thread Starter

I'm trying to install W98 in a brand new hard drive. WHen I put the W98 I expected for the windows set up program to open up and let me partition and format the hard drive, but nothing happens it just hangs at the screen after the "compaq" screen at I go nowhere from there. I downloaded "diskwizard" from seagate and partitioned and formatted the hard drive, (FAT32) and then when I put the W98 cd it recognized the cd but now it asked me for some command:this is what I saw:

C:>/(something like this) when I tried to change to E:setup.exe it did not recognize the command.

At this point I need to know How to get W98 in the 20gb partition I've prepared, or If i should delete the partition and do something else.

Shouldn't installation start when I put W98 installation cd in there? What's up?

after I install W98 in my new 120gb hard drive I'll install Wxp and hope to be able to get multiboot capabilities, but lets take one thing at a time.

Thank you for any help.

2. inetbogey

inetbogey

Hi Jcaleno,
    try to change the boot order so the CD rom is first. then put the win 98se disk in the drive and boot the machine.
    this should take you to the windows setup on the CD. (it is a win 98se disk, not a recovery disk?)
    good luck.

3. Jcaleno

Jcaleno Thread Starter

My system is already set to boot from CD rom, I've put both W98se Installation CD and the restore CdS that came with my system which have also W98se. In any case none take me to the partition/formating tool/w98se set up.

4. inetbogey

inetbogey

with the win 98se disk in the CD drive how far does the machine go in the boot process?

5. Jcaleno

Jcaleno Thread Starter

once past the compaq screen it hangs there or at times i'm asked for a command

C:/

6. inetbogey

inetbogey

does it do the same thing with the win XP disk in the CD drive?
    by the way,..........is the c:\ drive set as an active partition?

7. Jcaleno

Jcaleno Thread Starter

I've resolved the problem. but a new one has come up.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice