1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual boot W7/Ubuntu question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Konnar, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Konnar

Konnar Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I used to have Windows 7 on my laptop, then it started having random problems. So I installed Ubuntu and then installed Windows 7 clean again on another partition. Problem is, whenever it booted I just saw a screen with only a flashing underscore and nothing happening.

So I reinstalled windows 7, installed Grub, ran grub-update command. Grub boots fine, its menu shows Ubuntu and Windows 7 choices correctly.
    Ubuntu works fine, but Windows still only shows this useless flashing underscore.
    <-- did this several times to be sure.

Any ideas ?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Not a direct answer to your question. But have you tried VirtualBox, it's free, and its like VMWare. So you can run Ubuntu within Windows.

3. Konnar

Konnar Thread Starter

I haven't, I still prefer being on linux because I'm relatively new to it and I'd like to have a solid base before doing these kinds of things.

I've given up hope for a neat solution so I am currently in the process of reformatting the windows partition to install Vista

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

VirtualBox is like VMWare. It creates a big file and emulates a machine so that it thinks the big file is the entire hard drive. You can install whatever onto that virtual machine, Linux, Windows, O/S2 etc..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice