Dual boot win 10 and 7 separate hard drives delay and repost

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sgobob

On initial boot, post screen appears twice and boot screens for either OS appear twice sequentially. On restart from either OS, there is precisely a one minute "dead" period before post screen appears. I purchased the HP 8200 Elite from another user who installed the OS's and hard drives, but is unable to help with this problem.New-Win-10.jpg composite-11-06-16.jpg

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Assuming it's using the Windows 10 style boot up what you're seeing is normal if you try to boot 7 from the 'which OS' screen for 10 - it will reboot to start 7. Does that explain your whole problem ?

dmccoy

Darrin
Do you want to run a dual boot system? Go to start and type msconfig. Open the system utility and go to the boot tab. On the boot tab it will show a selection of operating systems and you can delete the one/s that are not correct. You can supply a screenshot if you have questions.

sgobob

Unfortunately, this doesn't answer the problem. There is a repeat of the post screens, and the logon screens from whatever OS I boot from in the OS boot choices - this is especially notable if I choose to boot to win 10 and, if I restart from either 7 or 10 there is that one minute dead zone with blank screen and no HD activity before post even appears. Since this problem appears from a cold boot, I think there is an issue with BIOS and/or the drive partitions? Why is SATA 1 listed under CD-ROM - shouldn't SATA 2 actually be 1?

2.jpg

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The Sata number doesn't matter in this case, it's not like IDE when you had master & slave.

sgobob

Then what causes the one minute dead period only when restarting from either OS and not cold boot?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Then what causes the one minute dead period only when restarting from either OS and not cold boot?
I can't answer that yet but can you explain how you choose which OS to run from a cold boot ?

So far I think you're saying you see the POST screen twice. What is on the 2 screens and are they identical ?

Then you see the 2 boot choice screens one after the other, the text one for 7 and the coloured one for 10, what order are they in ?

sgobob

Using legacy boot menu in win 10 so no graphical interface, with win7 as default, but makes no difference which OS is designated as default since I already tried that. Win 10 is on top, and 7 is checked. The boot choice screen does NOT appear twice, just the initial post screens and subsequent OS splash screens.

Yes, the two post screens are identical, with the first having a short timeout and the second having the timeout I specified. If I select 10 from the boot menu, the win 10 logo starts and runs for about 30 seconds then repeats until the program actually starts.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I didn't know you could have Post screens with a timeout. What sort of information is on the screens ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online