Dual Boot Win2000/Win98SE install order?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AlbertB

Hi,

I am currently running Win2000 Pro with FAT not NTFS. I'm not a great gamer do but have a couple I would like to load, but of course Win2K cannot support them. So I thought - how about a dual boot system? Hard drives are ok for it, 2 each with 2 sizeable partitions, so easily arranged. BUT, I am led to believe that I cannot install Win98SE AFTER Win2k. Is this true, and if so is there NO way around it except reinstalling Win2k as well?

AlbertB

The reason you have to install Windows 2000 first is because the Windows 2000 boot loader (boot.ini) is what handles the dual boot process. I’m sure there is a way around this (There always is), but I wouldn’t recommend any other way for reliability reasons.

C

Calv1n

When you install W2k first you might want to partition your main drive to hold both systems. It is allways good to seperate OS's so they wont confuse things. It is allways good to install your latest operating system first because it is the "smartest" and is able to run dual-boot when you start up. :D

Del

I installed Win ME, then Win 2000, then WinXP in that order and works great, just partitioned the hard drive and no problems.
I hear you can hide the Win 2000 O/S then install Win 98, but not sure how reliable that is when done.

AlbertB

Hi again,

Well I managed it. It took all night - literally - but I now have a Win98/Win2k dual boot setup. Win2k did not like it when I tried to install Win98 and it got screwed, presumably only its boot stuff, because there was no way back into Win2k with Win98 installed. A repair of 2000 via its repair disc from 98 then went ok and I was then offered a choice on bootup. I now have a few glitches in progs installed into Win2k prior to all of this, particularly on bootup when for some reason it insists on seeing some installation CDs again, but I think they will be minor to sort out.

Many thanks for the advice, and in particular the link to that great doc which gives just about every bit of info you could want about dual boots. Sad, but I actually found it quite interesting!

AlbertB

Tushman

Banned
Originally posted by Calv1n:
It is allways good to install your latest operating system first because it is the "smartest" and is able to run dual-boot when you start up. :D
Not really. I've done several dual boots and i've always installed Win9.x before the W2K/NT operating system. When you do it this way, it automatically creates the dual boot menu for you and it's the least hassle free way of setting up a dual boot.

Triple6

Rob
the oldest o/s should be installed first. Windows 9X does not support a multi-boot system. Only 2000/XP do. So if you install 2000/XP and then 9X, 9X will overwrite the windows 2000/XP boot info and you have to fix 2000/XP, whereas if you install 9X first and then 2000/XP, 2000/XP sees the other O/S and creates a menu to select the boot options.

Originally posted by Tushman:
Not really. I've done several dual boots and i've always installed Win9.x before the W2K/NT operating system. When you do it this way, it automatically creates the dual boot menu for you and it's the least hassle free way of setting up a dual boot.
I have found it works either way, you just have to be more creative if you install W2K first.

Tushman

Banned
Originally posted by LINK_Z:
I have found it works either way, you just have to be more creative if you install W2K first.
Yes Link, of course it works either way. I never doubted that it could be done with W2K being installed first.

My statement was that it is the least hassle free/least complicated method to install Win9.x first.

AlbertB

From M$ article

"http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/default.asp?url=/windows2000/en/advanced/help/wgs_gs_03011.htm"

(not sure why TSG didn't like the one long continual address the above should be?)

Before You Dual Boot

If you want to set up a dual-boot configuration to have Windows 2000 Professional and another operating system, such as MS-DOS or Windows 98, available on your computer, first review the following precautions:

Each operating system should be installed on a separate drive or disk partition.

Because you're performing a new installation of Windows 2000, you need to reinstall any programs--such as word processing or e-mail software--after Setup is complete.

You should use a FAT file system for dual-boot configurations. Although using NTFS in a dual boot is supported, such a configuration introduces additional complexity into the choice of file systems. For more information about using NTFS with a dual-boot configuration, see the Windows 2000 Professional Resource Kit.

*** To set up a dual-boot configuration between MS-DOS or Windows 95 and Windows 2000, you should install Windows 2000 last. Otherwise, important files needed to start Windows 2000 could be overwritten.

*** For a dual boot between Windows 98 and Windows 2000, it isn't necessary to install the operating systems in a particular order.

*** For a dual boot of Windows 2000 with Windows 95 or MS-DOS, the primary partition must be formatted as FAT; for a dual boot with Windows 95 OSR2 or Windows 98, the primary partition must be formatted as FAT or FAT32, not NTFS.

If you're upgrading a dual-boot computer, you can't gain access to NTFS partitions from any operating system other than Windows NT 4.0 with SP4.

If you install Windows 2000 on a computer that dual boots OS/2 and MS-DOS, Windows 2000 Setup configures your system so you can dual boot between Windows 2000 Professional and the operating system (MS-DOS or OS/2) you most recently used before running Windows 2000 Setup.

Don't install Windows 2000 on a compressed drive unless the drive was compressed with the NTFS file system compression utility.

It isn't necessary to uncompress DriveSpace or DoubleSpace volumes if you plan to dual boot with Windows 95 or Windows 98; however, the compressed volume won't be available while you're running Windows 2000.

Windows 95 or Windows 98 might reconfigure hardware settings the first time you use them, which can cause problems if you're dual booting with Windows 2000.

If you want your programs to run on both operating systems on a dual-boot computer, you need to install them from within each operating system. You can't share programs across operating systems.

Answers some questions for Win2000.

AlbertB

I didn't use the quotes until it wouldn't display the full url between url - /url (square brackets) tabs. It left out about half of the middle of the address and just replaced it with "...". I put in the quote marks as an alternative.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You're jinxed then :D

Seriously, if you copy and paste what you had, minus the quotes ;) into a browser window, then allow it to load completely, then go back and copy the address it'll work that way...........

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts