Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dual boot windows 11 with windows 7

Solved 
2K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
Hi, I've been an insider for a while and have an iso.

I installed Windows 7 64 bit on an old HDD, converted the disc to UEFI using a partition manager and installed Windows 11. This added a dual boot start screen for 11 and 7. It worked perfectly.

I cloned this to an SSD and Windows 7 comes up with an error (Can't find Windows\system32\winload.efi).

I thought being a 64bit system, system32\winload efi would not be appropriate anyway.

I've spoken to the imaging/cloning people and they say that their software is only for a single operating system.

I'm a bit early, but if anyone susses dual booting these 2 systems on an SSD, will you please post a reply to this query? I've tried once, directly onto an SSD and it failed.

Thanking you.

#2 · (Edited)
Reactions: grissom
#3 · (Edited)
Further to the above with the existing clone you may be able to get round the problem by using the Macrium Rescue media
The problem is that 7 cannot find the boot configuration
as indicated by the message once UEFI has handed control to the windows boot manager in 11 or the BCD in your case on 7 - the OS cannot find it.

See rescue media guide on the link I sent
Creating rescue media - Knowledgebase 8.0 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

#4 ·
Hi Thanks.
I downloaded a trial of Macrium reflect 'paid for' and made a boot disc to clone it but it didn't work. Gave exactly the same error actually.

I tried cloning and imaging with Easeus Todo Backup too, both with the same result.

But I'm happy to try both of your suggestions, thank you.

Let you know when done.

#5 ·
Try post 3 suggestion -
rescue usb
repair boot
Fix Boot problems for GPT/UEFI Boot Systems
Fix boot problems is available in the same location as for MBR systems. Boot your UEFI capable rescue media. Then:

1. Select the Restore menu, then select Fix Windows Boot Problems. Alternatively, choose the Existing Backups tab then under existing backup tasks select Fix Windows Boot Problems.

• Love
#6 ·
I did exactly that and the matter was rectified in seconds.
You are indeed a master, thank you very much, - I had been at this over a week!
Macrium is a wonder too.

Thank you for your help; once done, I recalled that I had done just that (not with dual boot I don't think), many years ago. Oh for better recall in the grey matter.

Cheers.

#7 · (Edited)
I did exactly that and the matter was rectified in seconds.
You are indeed a master, thank you very much, - I had been at this over a week!
Macrium is a wonder too.
Thanks for the appreciation
It was my pleasure to help

I am not sure about the master of this- it is just that I have used Macrium a few times on mine and other systems.
The user name comes from the fact I was a commercial boatmaster

I quite like 11 - took me a bit to find the - shutdown and indeed the settings

#8 ·
I do appreciate your help and I'm sure that you were happy and a success at that work too, thanks for the contact.

Anyway, you and Macrium sorted my dual boot problem and it's been booted successfully a few times now.
Problem solved, thank you.

Will look how to mark 'solved'. Best wishes to you.

#9 ·
click mark solved on your opening post
Hope all goes well with 11

#11 ·
Cheers it is mark solved that you should see as here

Mark Solved
on the top left of the headings above the post

#12 ·
Still can't see it but happy to accept, thank you.

Ps. Just noted your remark about 11, re shutdown & settings. Not starting again, but open shell is a beautiful bit of freeware for replacing start menu. Far better than the Microsoft thingy. Just d/l & run then configure to replace and be as Win 7 (teaching Grandmother to suck eggs I'll bet.) Used it for all versions after 7, which it emulates.

#15 ·
Thanks

#18 ·
It was a pleasure to work with you

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.