1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Boot Windows/Linux using Fedora Core 3

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by dantarnopol, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dantarnopol

dantarnopol Thread Starter

Hi All,

I am a newbee to Linux. I have just installed Fedora Core 3 in a dual boot configuration with windows XP home edition. Both systems are operating properly but i still have several issues that need "ironing" and was hoping for some help. I have spent a lot of time diggin around on the web but have only gotten more confused.

1) I tried to use the up2date --package installation tool and have been having some problems. It bombs out if there are rpms that exist during the installation that are the same version. It gives a warning about it but will not install the packages when this occurs

2) I would like to look at and tranfer files between my Windows XP file system to my Linux system(on the same computer)--i have no clue how to though :eek:

3) I would like to tranfer files between Windows XP computers and my linux computer on my local network.

4) I would like to print from my Linux Computer and my Windows XP boxes. Right now I can only print from my Linux Box. I have tried to set it up for Samba but am hopelessly lost :(

Thank you SOOOOOO much for any help you can give me :)

2. dantarnopol

Some more info on my up2date --package installer problem---I get a warning like the following:
    Test install failed because of package conflicts: The following packages were added to you selection to satisfy dependencies: gnumeric-devel version 1.2.13 release 10.........package gnumeric-devel-1.2.13-10 is already installed

3. dantarnopol

I have one last problem--i hope. My system detects my scanner (microtec scanmaker 3800), and my
    External DVD drive, but i dont know how to access them?????

4. saikee

saikee

I go for an easy one No. (2) and let the others deal with the rest.

To look and transfer files between XP and Linux you need to do the following

(a) Log in as superuser to root

(b) Create a mount point - Say in /mnt and call it /mnt/tmp. The command is "mkdir /mnt/tmp"

(c) mount the XP partition in Linux - if hda1 holds XP then issue the command "mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/tmp"

You can then go to the desktop and click home and find the /mnt/tmp. The files can be moved into your Linux partition by drag and drop. The receiving Linux partition should be created in FAT16 or FAT32 format.

5. dantarnopol

Thanks for the tip i did the following: (i have an ntfs partition for windows xp)
    1st i logged in the an xterm as root:
    # /sbin/fdisk -l
    with the following results:
    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 2932 23551258+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda2 2933 2945 104422+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda3 2946 4789 14811930 83 Linux
    /dev/hda4 4790 4870 650632+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda5 4790 4870 650601 82 Linux swap

#mkdir -m 755 /mnt/winxp
    #mount -t ntfs -r /dev/hda1 /mnt/winxp

gives the following results: mount: fs type ntfs not supported by kernel
    i assumed that since my windows xp partition is NTFS that i had to mount as type ntfs--i also tried without -t ntfs and got same results??? :confused:

6. dantarnopol

I HAVE SOLVED #2!!!!!!!!! (y) (y) (y) (y) :D :D
    I did the following keword search in google: fedora core 3 with NTFS fix which came up
    with a really useful webpage, below is the link that gives instructions for installing an NTFS version of linux, works flawlessly, i followed the instructions to the letter!!

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/instructions.html

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice