1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Boot Windows Xp + Vista Boot Menu issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by smithm7861, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smithm7861

smithm7861 Thread Starter

Okay so I didn't screw up everything, but I can't get my boot menu situation straight. I have a dual boot of windows xp pro and windows vista business. I used EasyBCD to edit my boot menu, this way my boot menu listed Windows XP and Windows Vista and it would default to Windows XP. The problem now is that I can access F8 options on windows vista, but not on windows xp. I messed around with my boot.ini for xp, but can't get it to do what i want it to do.

This was my boot.ini setup after using EasyBCD -

;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

When the boot.ini is listed as above, it will automatically just go to Windows XP. I want to have my F8 options back in case I need to get into safe mode. I modified the boot.ini to do this -

;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Safe Mode" /safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog /noguiboot
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Safe Mode Networking" /safeboot:network /sos /bootlog /noguiboot
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Safe Mode CMD Prompt" /safeboot:minimal(alternateshell) /sos /bootlog /noguiboot
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Pro Debug" /debug /sos /basevideo /noguiboot /bootlog

Now when the boot menu comes up and says I can boot into Win Xp or Win Vista, it defaults to Win Xp like it is suppose to, but brings up all those options that I added to the boot.ini. So instead of booting straight to windows xp it gives me another menu screen with all the options I just added to the boot.ini. When it brings up the second boot menu for Windows Xp it shows all the options that I added, the normal XP option I can hit F8 and it will bring up the normal list of safe mode and debug options. How can I get the main boot screen Windows Xp option to access those advance options by hitting F8 instead of going through two menus.

I'm sorry if this in confusing I tried to explain it the best way I could.

2. irdaneel

irdaneel

This is all you should need to start XP. I suggest lowering the "timeout" to 3 or less. To access your F8 options you should do so immediately after starting the XP-os. (right after this "boot loader" processes.)

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

BCDEdit has nothing to do with boot.ini and does not affect it in any way.

F8 does not bring up the boot.ini menu. It brings up the recovery menu. The recovery menu cannot be changed (by you).

The F8 options will still be available for XP with your original setup. You are just pressing F8 too soon so that you are getting Vista's options. If you wait until boot control has been passed to boot.ini, then F8 will bring up the XP options.

It is not going to skip over the boot.ini menu that you made. The menu is there to be accessed and it makes no sense to create a menu that you don't want to ever see.

4. smithm7861

smithm7861 Thread Starter

Alright, thanks for the info. I changed the time to 3 seconds. It just made me nervous that it didn't say press F8 for advanced options. I didn't know if I would be able to get to my advanced settings anymore.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/948385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice