1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual boot with Linux on sep. HD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by priwer, Dec 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. priwer

priwer Thread Starter

Hi - here's the situation. Computer originally had one HD (C drive)with Linux and NT4 on separate partitions. Both were accessible via LILO (which i dont know anything about, except for seeing the LILO boot loader message). I later added a second HD (D drive) with XP. Since this time, i cannot access Linux.

- the machine now loads using the boot.ini on the C drive. from there i can get to either NT4 or XP
    - i read about creating a linux.bin file, but cant get into linux. i tried booting off the Red Hat CD (version 6.2) and using the Red Hat rescue mode to do so, but wasnt able to create anything valid with dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/floppy/linux.bin bs=512 count=1 (there are no hda partitions in the dev directory - maybe because it was using what was on the linux CD, not the hard drive?)

Basically i'd like to be able to add linux to the boot.ini and have it work, but am stuck. Any suggestions most appreciated. i can re-install Linux to the D drive, it has space, but i dont want to risk losing access to XP.. and it seems this should work, since Linux -was- there and working prior to installing XP.

This is my first post here - if it would go better in the LINUX section, please feel free to move it to there.

thanks much--

2. stod73

stod73

Anytime I've installed a dual boot M$ and Linux mix I've had to install Linux second and use either LILO or GRUB for boot order. What happens if you take out the new hard drive with XP on it?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/190529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice