1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual boot with XP and Vista! Problem!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Brook_bond, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brook_bond

Brook_bond Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am trying to do a dual boot of XP and Vista but keep having problems and wonder if anyone can help. Not sure if this is a Hardware or Software problem.

First let me say some specs here, I have a Q9550 CPU, ABIT IP35 Pro XE Motherboard and 2GB of DDR2 667 RAM. I have 3 SATA HDs 2 x 500GB Samsung HD501LJ and 1 x 300GB Maxtor. One Samsung has the OS on, the other one is only for storage of work, pics, and music etc. and the Maxtor is for backups of the system only.

Ok here is where I start my tale.
    I already have Vista Ultimate SP1 installed as my OS and this is a full copy with disk. I split the partition the 500GB Samsung that Vista is on in to two partitions and formatted the new one as NTFS. So far so good.

Then I inserted the XP disk in the DVD drive and started to install XP Pro (SP2 on the disk). XP saw the new partition and copied the files to it to start installing XP on reboot.
    The PC restarts and I get a message saying: “A disk read error occurred – press Ctrl-Alt-Del to continue”.
    Now this is where I get stuck and can not get past! I put the Vista disk in the DVD drive and repaired the MBR so I could get back in to Vista and have a look on some forums. A lot of people who have had the same problem as me have been told to either find a driver for the HD, or set the SATA to IDE mode or disable it altogether. As there is no drive that I can find for the HD501LJ and disabling the SATA or setting it to IDE has not worked, I tried getting the SATA drivers from my ABIT Mobo but these don’t have any effect and I still get stuck in the same place.

Now, as an experiment I saved my backups off the Maxtor to DVD and wiped and re partitioned that to two partitions and tried to install XP and Vista as a dual boot on that. I installed XP first and all went well and it installed with no problems. Then I installed Vista with no problems. However, when I boot in to XP, XP can not see either of the two Samsung HD501LJs at all. But on booting in to Vista all the drives are visible and accessible. So I am thinking it is something to do with XP not recognising the 500GB drives.

I have seen people on the forums who have managed a dual boot with 5ooGB HDs though on asking none have been Samsung drives. Is this a Samsung problem?

Any help on this will be most welcome.

Thanks for reading.
    Brook

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice