1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual boot with xp + vista, both already installed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by neal_laxman, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neal_laxman

neal_laxman Thread Starter

Hi!

have a bit of a problem, and im not sure if the way round iv done things was stupid or not!!

Anyway, I have my machine, with XPPro installed on, bought another H/D and installed vista 64 on it, however i installed vista with the xo drive unplugged, and i cant work out how to get an OS choice on boot!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

2. anand1

anand1

As you have said that you installed Vista with XP HDD unplugged then during VISTA instillation it did not find any Windows installation in any other drive and was not able to make any entry in your boot.ini file which is necessary for dual boot, as in ur case.

If you make ur HDD with VISTA as MAster drive then u cannot boot XP HDD.
    And if u have make XP HDD as MAster then u cannot boot the VISTA HDD.

So u have to install both the OS that is XP as well as VISTA while both the HDD being plugged in at the same time. This will work for u.

3. neal_laxman

Well, what I am hoping to do is have both OS's without having to re-install either version of windows, I am wondering if there is any way of setting it up through programs/settings available in the windows versions already installed of selecting a dual boot option

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Boot up the Vista drive, install VistaBootPro and run it, add the XP OS then when you boot to Vista you will get a menu to boot Vista or XP.

If you need help to add XP just ask.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no boot.ini in Vista and it will have no effect on the boot. Edit the BCD store by using VistabootPro or EasyBCD as managed has suggested.

6. neal_laxman

Thanks for the help everyone! Now I can finally use the two drives with much more ease!

cheers :)

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good work.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!