1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Boot XP+98 Won't Work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by erron, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erron

erron Thread Starter

I originally have win98 working on my PC then decided to have a dual OS with WinXP. I used partition Magic to have two logical drive and installed Win XP on drive D. My PC was working fine using two OS Win98 on drive c and WinXP Pro on drive d for months.

While using Win98 I noticed that internet explorer runs to slow compare when using XP. So I decided to clean up drive c with Norton Utilities but still explorer seems slow. then decided to restart PC. When I start my PC again a system invalid message appeared. I made use of system recovery disk for win98. but after a while for what ever reason I decided to type sys c while on dos. when I start my PC only Win98 is now running.

The original start-up which make me choose which OS to use does not appear anymore???I double check by boot.ini and seems OK.

Can anybody help me restore by dual boot configuration. My friends tell me that it has something to do with the first boot partition after typing sys c just to restore my win98??

Please assist me as I'm having hard time using win98 on the Internet...Also please provide me tips how to boost my Win98
    Thanks

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

3. erron

erron Thread Starter

Thanks ST for your immediate support. :) I'll go over the tips you've sent me and get back to soon. I think I have already read the How to Install and use recovery console in Windows XP and looks complicated but I'll go over it again. Do you now of other options such as downloading a file that when executed in my PC would just install or resolve my problem. (not that tech savy guy!)

If I do the reinstallation thing, does this mean that I have to reinstall again application in XP? will reinstallation delete my existing XP files?

4. SexyTech

SexyTech

erron...

As far as the recovery console...Boot to your WinXP CD

Once at the prompt, type in "fixboot" (without quotes) and press enter.

5. erron

erron Thread Starter

ST,

I tried recovery using XP CD, and after the repair and reboot the system I was able to see dual boot option XP or Win98. Great! I tried to open XP and its working fine but when I tried to use Win98 my original problem pop-up " invalid System" I don't want to make use of Win 98 recovery disk and type sys c again!! How can I make win98 work again?? Help??

6. mobo

mobo

Try scanreg/ restore in 98..

7. erron

erron Thread Starter

How do I do scanreg /restore in 98? only my Xp is working now. can I resolve bootsector of drive c while working on XP or do I have to do this using dos?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I use a couple of utilities to manipulate the boot manager on 2K/XP to add other bootable systems. BOOTPART and BOOTSECT. Between the two, I can slide W9x or DOS in under a 2K or XP system without any difficulty. :)

9. mobo

mobo

All you have to do is boot from the bootdisk and when you get to the a prompt type c: and click enter. then from the c/:> prompt type scanreg /restore and choose a date that is errorless..

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!