1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual boot xp and 7

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Brucetm, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brucetm

Brucetm Thread Starter

Alright, I have an ancient windows xp system and just built a new computer.I bought windows 7 HP oem x64 with the setup, and I want to dual boot the new os along with the old xp pro sp3 os exactly as it is: programs, data, everything. In other words, I want my 115 gigs of xp on my new hard drive, and I want it to be separate from 7. No virtual machine. No xp upgrade. Just a dual boot on a new drive in a new machine. I also plan on preserving the data in the old machine, but I could just backup the hard drive to do that. How would I go about doing this?

I tried moving the whole xp partition to the new drive, but windows 7 didnt recognize
    It during installation. I have the Dell xp disk, so could I just repair install xp on the new disk
    with the existing partition, to acclimate it to the new system, and THEN install
    Windows 7 all over again?

Or am I approaching this the wrong way?

2. Brucetm

Brucetm Thread Starter

Uh oh... I have a Dell xp repair cd, not an installation disc... I think I may be in trouble here.

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

How did you introduce the XP Partition into the system, was it definitely capable of booting itself and did the BIOS see it?

Windows 7 should take the necessary action to handle the dual-boot and offer the choices - Windows 7 or the somewhat dismissive "Earlier version of Windows".

4. Brucetm

Brucetm Thread Starter

Step 1: pulled out hard drive from old machine. Put it in new machine
    Step 2: used partedmagic in the fresh win 7 install. Resized windows 7 partition.
    Step 3: copied xp partition from 120 gig Hdd into a new 130 gig partition on new Hdd. I didn't copy fat32 boot/system files.
    Step 4: removed old Hdd, rebooted, and nothing (yes, I was impatient.)
    Step 5: formatted windows 7 partition, re- installed windows 7 (my impatience strikes again). W7 loaded once again, with no alternate OS prompt.
    Step 6: used Dell xp repair cd. Loaded for awhile... Got BSOD. Both tries.
    Step 7: As I type this on my iPhone, I am opening the case and re installing the old Hdd in the new machine.
    And I realized I probably should have loaded the partition before installing windows 7... Whoops.

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Good luck with that one, Bruce. I can think of no better way to spend Christmas Day.(and I think you might well spend the whole of .....) :D

6. Brucetm

Brucetm Thread Starter

You got a point, I'm putting this one off for now. I'm dumping xp and having a
    Merry Christmas instead, it gave me too many headaches already. :)

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The XP version on the Dell is an OEM version, and you can't move it to a new computer. It is only licensed for the Dell system it was shipped with.

If you want XP on the new system you'll need to purchase another copy of XP.
    Clone the Dell drive to the new one, then boot with the new XP CD and do a Repair Install, using the product key from the new disc. That should preserve the programs, files, and settings. Once XP is working, then install Win 7.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice