1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual-boot XP and Vista upgade

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by wim_mulder, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wim_mulder

wim_mulder Thread Starter

Can I make two partitions one with XP and one with Vista Premium (used upgrade disk). Or will my XP key be deactivated. Or will WGA get mad at me for doing that. Has anyone tried it? I only really want XP to play games with. Thanks

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

If you bought upgrade supposedly when you do the upgrade your XP is put on the disabled list.

Kinda sucks but I bought OEM for about the same price. I am going nowhere other than ram and video in the next 2 years so I bought OEM. When I do upgrade, it will be system wide so this rig will be my backup. I mean, by most standards my backup rig can whuparse on allot of folks primary rig. Vista is cool, I have challenges before me again. I was bored with XP. I knew it inside and out.

LOL. Now I can not even resize my desktop icons. I am loving it. I may have to PM a friend to figure out how to manange my icons. Hope not. ;)

3. wim_mulder

wim_mulder Thread Starter

Well I could always try. Pray for the best. Kind of annoying that they do that because I can NEVER run both xp and vista at the same and it will only be on one system. Also in order to reinstall Vista i have to install xp 1st, but if they disable the key how will that work. I do really like Vista and find it interesting, just my games crash because i can't slow down my agp slot to 4x (ATI's drivers do not include the feature anymore and my BIOS does not allow me to)(This issue is caused by my MSI mobo) Maybe I could get a new mobo cheaper than xp. Thanks

4. kaaos

kaaos

i have read that if you create a new partition for vista, and load the OEM upgrade disk there, and when you get to the screen where you input serial, skip it and it activates a trial version of vista. now just do the instal again and do the upgrade from the trial version. you won't lose the xp key in this manner

so basically you just install Vista 2 times on the new partition

1 trial and 1 upgrade

gonna give it a shot this week and report back

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!