1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual-Boot XP Pro and 98SE?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by twisted_mind, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twisted_mind

twisted_mind Thread Starter

hi friends
    my games seem to be sluggish in XP Pro. i have a p-III 733 MHz , 128 MB RAM. Till the time i get more RAM, i want to have a seperate installtion of 98 on which i could play the same games.
    i want to know whether i can install 98SE on a different partition. I have a partition dedicated for storing Norton Ghost images of my C:\ drive which has XP installed. So if i install 98 on this (dedicated) partition, will the data( ghost images) be lost? I have the start-up floppy from my win98se days ( that was just a week back). do i just go into DOS while booting XP n install 98 on the other partition?
    with regards,
    umesh
    On second thoughts, i had ghosted my C:\ drive before formatting it and installing XP on it. The C:\ drive had 98se. I have the image. it's just a week old. Can i just restore the image on the partition i want to install 98....will that make my system dual-bootable??

2. Tushman

Tushman Banned

No simply restoring yoiur image of Win98 back onto the C: partition won't give you the dual boot menu.

The easiest way would be to setup win98 on the C: and when it's all setup, insert your XP setup CD and choose the new installation method. As you proceed through the install, it will give you the option in the advanced menu to install XP onto a separate partition.

Now if you have your XP currently on C:\, you can still dual boot but i don't know how you would get your dual boot menu as the NTLDR wouldn't recognize the fresh win98 install. I think Johnwill here probably has some suggestions on how you can manage that.

3. mobo

mobo

You would have to use a sofware package such as partition magic to hide the xp partition first then install 98 on D drive , then use a third party boot manager to dual it.

4. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

you may be able to get away with editing your BOOT.INI file to direct it your windws 98SE installiation.

5. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Not quite, his NTLDR file still would have to know which partition his Win98 is installed on. And that's not something that can be accomplished simply by editing the boot.ini file.

6. mobo

mobo

from the repair console in xp mthe command to repiir the boot is bootcfg. That should search for os's and configure a new boot menu.

7. Tushman

Tushman Banned

The bootcfg command only searches for NT based OSes - not win9.x.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It can be done in three different ways.

1) Delete all partitions and clean install win9x; now install xp after win9x is up and running. This will give you the boot menu.
    2) Use a third party program such as xosl [free] or boot magic [not free] to give you the boot menu after you have installed win9x.
    3) Install win9x and then do a repair of the boot files xp uses. I have never tried this when xp was installed using ntfs; I do not think you will be able to do the win9x install if your boot drive is ntfs since win9x must write some files to the boot sector of the drive. If your boot disk is ntfs, I would do the clean installs using C for win9x formatted as fat32. Note you will need to work in a command line environment. If you are not comfortable working with the recovery console, it will be difficult. Here are the instructions for doing this without third party software or clean installs. After you have installed win9x and have it up and running do the following.

1. Boot your computer with the Windows XP CD. When prompted to Setup or Repair, choose Repair. In the Recovery Console, enter the following commands:
    2. FIXBOOT, answer Yes
    3. CD \
    4. ATTRIB -H NTLDR
    5. ATTRIB -S NTLDR
    6. ATTRIB -R NTLDR
    7. ATTRIB -H NTDETECT.COM
    8. ATTRIB -S NTDETECT.COM
    9. ATTRIB -R NTDETECT.COM
    10. COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\
    11. COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
    In the last two commands, X is the letter of your CD drive.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, I've inserted W98 & MS-DOS onto a number of systems running 2K & XP, it's not that difficult. If you have XP running on C:, you need to just do a normal install of W98 onto another partition. This obviously leaves the 2K/XP loader MIA, so then you have to fix that. I use BOOTPART to hack the multi-boot menu and restore the NT loader, and BOOTSECT to manipulate the W9x/MS-DOS boot sector.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!