1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Boot XP/Vista

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blue-boy, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blue-boy

blue-boy Thread Starter

Hey, Just discovered this forum. I have a number of minor probs with software and wonder at some mysterious events from time to time. I retired from regular employment some 8 years ago just as internet usage in AU was taking off. I worked in a corporate computing help center on conservative PC networking issues. Eg: LAN and WAN. On retiring, I resisted buying my own computer and using the internet until 2 years ago. Since then I have enjoyed using my acquired high end graphics ASUS box. Now as I become more familiar with the technology, I can see ways of improving its utility. I wish to set up a dual boot arrangement using :

existing 300GB HDD and new 1000GB HDD
    existing Win XP pro and new Win Vista
    existing Wireless Broadband and new ADSL2+
    etc
    without physically changing plugs on the internet and allowing access to the alternate HDD from each selected boot.

I am sure it is possible. Any comments??

Also is there an online training facility where I can learn more about programming system modules and changing startup files and defaults. I did do a Microsoft course 10 years ago on NT4 but my notes and memory have gone astray.

Please help.:

2. mal1930

mal1930

HI, I am not sure ofyour Query. I have been running Vista on a dual boot for the last 2 or 3 weeks Vista32 and XP64 and can access the internet from either partition. Vista set the Internet for me when I installed. I am gradually converting my mind to Vista but DLD from Xp yesterday. Everything seems to have worked very easily compare to all the other OS installs over the last 30 years. love Mal

3. blue-boy

blue-boy Thread Starter

(y)Thanks Mal, I gather that you are using the one conntction (ISP) to the internet? I propose to use a separate ethernet socket for each internet connection. IE, one for the wireless internet radio which connects using the cell phone network. The other for an ADSL2+ modem/router to use the land line in my house. Each connection would have a different ISP. I am hoping that the boot HDD (eg, XP) selected would use the internet setup on that HDD and not try to setup using the alternate HDD (Vista) when it detects an alternative ethernet connection. I dont have a home network so the task bar icons (in XP as currently configured) show cables unplugged but if they have plugs in one, would the selected OS try to set up as I suspect? If so, I would need to disconnect the alternate plug?

Jazza.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The separate OS's are truly separate. They will neither use nor see one another's resources or programs.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice