1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computerwiz5, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computerwiz5

computerwiz5 Thread Starter

I want to partition mu=y frive so it can share windows 98 not se. Right now i have 2000 and partition magic . Can i partition my drive so it will be cut in half. over my win 2000

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can, though it's usually better to install W98 on the C: drive and W2K/XP on the higher letter drive.

3. computerwiz5

computerwiz5 Thread Starter

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

one reason is because windows 98 will overwrite 2k's boot sector.

5. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

..why does everyone want to partition a hard drive?,
    ..with the price of what they are today, buy two,
    ..besides, to run w2k & 98, you have to cripple w2k,
    [make it run fat instead of ntfs],
    ..under those terms w2k becomes nothing more than 98,
    ..along with all the headaches of figuring what size partition goes where, what goes in each partition, and what goes in the shared partition, etc.,
    ..been there, done that, LEARNED,
    ..KISS.
    ..check out the trios switch,

hope this helped,
    have a good day,
    daniel_b23804
    w/enlight en-8902 w/[email protected] w/[email protected] w/[email protected] w/[email protected],
    epox D3VA w/[email protected] w/2.0GB kingston SDRAM,
    R.A.I.D. 0+1 w/[email protected]@7200,
    w/trios w/98SE & W2KPro triple/single-booting,
    sb live x-gamer w/klipsch pro-media 5.1,
    ati 4xAGP rage fury pro w/dual sony E500,
    3com 3c905c 10/100,
    acer 50x cd-rom,
    acer cd-rw.................
    (yeah, i'm BRAGGIN'!!!!!!!)

6. blackfriar

blackfriar

There are many reasons I wanted to partition my HDD, such as:

=I wanted to try running Linux and didn't want to buy another hard drive just to try it out.

=I'm out of IDE cables :) I Have a Zip drive, DVDrom, and CDWriter plus my HDD, 4 drives on 2 IDE cables

=Partitioning a 120Gb drive into smaller partitions will make the access time faster.

=I just like to mess around with things, thats why I'm at this site and not like most other people who bring their computer to the shop when they need something done on it.

As for crippling 2k, I think (but I'm not sure) that you can have one partition FAT32 and the other NTFS, I had Linux and 98 using the same drive with LILO managing the MBR.

I agree with Jtoast, from my past "adventures" with multi OS partitions I would reformat and start from scratch. I tried partition magic and didn't care that much for it.

7. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

..hello computerwiz5 ,
    ..was just checking out older threads i had posted in,
    ..didn't see this one as resolved,
    ..was your problem solved?,
    ..if it was, it's not necessary, but it is nice to post a reply acknowledging that,
    ..it's good to know because there are many others reading/following the thread,
    ..some even with a similar problem,
    ..some just seeking the knowledge so if they ever have a similar problem,
    ..the threads also get archived and there are those who do search them for an answer without just jumping in and posting,
    ..and then there are us ego-maniacs who just want to know, WHAT solved your problem???,

..if your problem wasn't resolved, then PLEASE post back; there are many very knowledgeable people here on the forums who truly enjoy helping others by sharing that knowledge,
    ..it might even have been that your post just didn't get read by the one who had the answer, don't give up!, post back!!!,

..so if you would,

..thanks,

have a good day,
    daniel_b23804

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice