1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual booting laptop crashes booting xp pro.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cosmicthoughts, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmicthoughts

cosmicthoughts Thread Starter

Hello there, occassional lurker, first time poster, hopefully someone here will be able to help :)

I've been setting my laptop to dual boot xp pro, and Ubuntu on a seperate partition. All was going well, until xp decided to die altogther. I don't have that error to hand, but it's gone a little further now.

Was going to install xp pro on a 3rd partition, and it started up fine. Now I can boot fine to Ubuntu, and the 2nd version of xp. However, the original xp is still having issues.

Now, when booting up, gets BSOD - bad_pool_caller. Code at the end is: 0x000000c2 (0x00000007,0x00000CD4,0x00000060,0x86F7E1FC)

Everything I've read suggests this is talking about a hardware or software conflict. However, I've not installed any new hardware. I suspect there is a software conflict between the two versions of xp, but I can't see how that can happen.

I can boot into the 1st copy of xp in safe mode, however, explorer.exe fails to start up. Tried running it in task manager to no avail.

I forgot to add - I am using GNU GBRUB to boot between the 3 operating systems.

EDIT 2: Tried it again to boot 1st xp in safe mode - new error for windows product activation - a problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the licence for this computer error code 0x800004005

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Are these installations of XP Pro on the two partitions diferent install disks with separate key codes?

3. cosmicthoughts

cosmicthoughts Thread Starter

Yes, they were

However, I've managed to crack it. GNU GRUB hides the partitions of different operating systems when you choose one. As a result I could not mount the problem partition. Managed to read up on editing GRUB so it does show the partition, so when I booted up the 2nd version of windows, it could access the drive. Copied everything I needed onto DVD's, and rebuilt the whole thing.

Working fine now, thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!