1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10 freezes at grub2

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by UnD3R0aTh, Sep 19, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. UnD3R0aTh

UnD3R0aTh Thread Starter

I spent the past couple of days trying different stuff. I still can't get Ubuntu installed on my new laptop (http://store.hp.com/CanadaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=1UG52UA&opt=ABL&sel=NTB).

All attempts freeze at the same point, "installing grub2 package...". P.s I left my PC for 5 hours, still never finishes.

1) I reformatted my laptop, reinstalled windows 10, shrank disk, choose along side windows, nothing.

2) I booted using Gparted, created partitions for both Windows and Ubuntu, windows installed fine, but Ubuntu stuck.

3) I choose something else, and created an ext4 / partition , and a swap partition manually, same.

4) Tried the 17 version of Ubuntu, same.

I use Rufus to create the bootable USB and I set it to create it for MBR for UEFI and Bios, just for UEFI and GPT for UEFI. I tried the fix which is listed here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/392254/ubuntu-install-hangs-at-installing-the-grub2-package/392273, same.

I'm really frustrated now and I think it's either the laptop, Windows 10 (to which I'm totally new), or the Ubuntu version itself.

Please advise, I need it urgently.

2. Sponsor

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you just want to experiment with Ubuntu, there is an easier way. Install Oracle VirtualBox (free) and then install Ubuntu into it's virtual machine. Now Ubuntu will run inside a window on Windows10.

4. UnD3R0aTh

UnD3R0aTh Thread Starter

Not really experiment, I have to do certain work there. I heard about the virtual machine thing, but I think I should have a proper installation for what I plan to do. Could you please help me out? I can provide you with any information you require about my machine.

Thanks in advance.

5. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good John

Just my own personal experience:

On a Win 7 Home install, I used Virtual Box to run Mint and at a later time Ubuntu.
    Both ran well and I avoided the complications dual booting often seems to run into.
    In the past I have installed Mint as my primary OS and seen no difference between primary and virtual.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

64-bit version of Ubuntu?

7. UnD3R0aTh

UnD3R0aTh Thread Starter

yes, this one ubuntu-16.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso

please help, so frustrated

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

Just to let you know, when configured for dual booting, if in the future you remove Ubuntu, you won't be able to boot Windows because you remove grub with Ubuntu. You would need to do a Windows repair from the Windows DVD.

9. UnD3R0aTh

UnD3R0aTh Thread Starter

Let's just get it installed first, then worry about removing it xD

10. UnD3R0aTh

UnD3R0aTh Thread Starter

Just tried with Linux Mint, same installer, same freeze at installing grub package....

11. lunarlander

lunarlander

At this point, would you like to try VirtualBox ? It emulates hardware, and gives you a clean machine to install into. No need to fidget with co-existing with Windows.

Johnny-be-Good likes this.
  12. UnD3R0aTh

UnD3R0aTh Thread Starter

Yes definitely, I would. Where should I start? I wish I didn't waste my time like that :/

13. lunarlander

lunarlander

14. MadmanRB

MadmanRB

15. saikee

saikee

I also dual boot a HP Spectre 360 with a 500GB M2-ssd which I have shrunk so as to split into two halves for Windows 10 and Linux. I opted out secure boot and UEFI and stick with the legacy booting mode. It is possible some motherboards can be Linux-unfriendly.

Mine is OK and works satisfactorily. It is the Ubuntu 17.04. The original factory-installed Windows 10 is untouched except in half of its factory ssd size.

16. UnD3R0aTh

UnD3R0aTh Thread Starter

Saikee how to opt out of UEFI and boot in legacy?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196616