1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual-Booting Vista with XP for gaming

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MercZire, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MercZire

MercZire Thread Starter

Is it a viable option to partition off 20 GB of my current partition to install Vista, so that I can boot it to play games that support DX10?

I know it's possible, but are there any complications? Will I be able to just run the DX10 games off the already-existing XP partition? Do I need to install drivers while in Vista, and will that interfere with XP?

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

Viable, yes, and recommended if you still have need for your XP.
    Will the drivers, or anything, from one OS interfere with the other? no.

3. MercZire

MercZire Thread Starter

My friend said that I'd need to reinstall all the games already installed on XP on Vista, so the registry entries work and such, y'know?

But uhm, is that really necessary? I'm looking for someone with experience on this, who's tried it, not just an assumption, unless it's absolutely cemented in fact.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If you want to run the games from Vista, yes they have to be installed in Vista.

5. ChuckE

ChuckE

When you do a 2nd installation, a 2nd boot part, then think of it as a brand new computer. There will be NOTHING there, other than what you install from that point on. If you want games or programs to appear on this new partition then you will have to install (it is not a "re-install" since this new partition have never "seen nor heard" of that whatever program before).

The only thing that will appear - maybe and usually, will be the "other drives" that were existing of your previous OS installations (your 1st boot, vs this new 2nd boot). However, the drive letters will, most likely not be the same.

Just having those other partitions appearing does not mean the programs on them will function. They are only taking up space. The OS of this 2nd partition, specifically the registry, has no "knowledge" of those files, until you install on this new OS.

The only things, in those 'taking up space' areas, that will work, will be programs that do not require any installation or registry changes. Those types of programs would be "stand-alone" programs.

Oh, and yes, this is "cemented in fact." Being from a software testing company, we have had many computers that had many, many different boot scenarios, typically we had computers that could boot up with any of many languages and OS's. It is tedious to test programs on multiple languages, and expensive if you think any company is going to have separate hardware and computers per language or OS. Instead we had one computer (actually many computers - but in this explanation, I am talking about one computer) and possibly a dozen different boot-ups.

6. MercZire

MercZire Thread Starter

Wow, don't you sound offended? I just didn't want someone to tell me something, then partition off space, and waste hours of my time getting everything running just to find out it's wrong.

Anywho, the whole idea was to dual-boot just so that I'd have Vista and be able to run games in DX10, but the idea of splitting my drive in two and having an installation of every game twice between the two partitions is ridiculous. Unless there's an alternative way around it, I guess that's all. Thanks for the advice. A man can dream, right?

7. ChuckE

ChuckE

I am not offended. It is just that you mentioned that you wanted something that, as you said (your words) "unless it's absolutely cemented in fact." I just was cementing that for you, by not only giving you reasons but also my experience. How else can you determine whether a person was "cementing" or "white washing?"

Anything you do might just waste your time anyway, but you are the one that plays games, which I suppose is why you are considering a dual boot. I don't have the desire, or the time, to play games.

Consider this, how about making your computer a Vista box primarily, installing all your needed programs there, and only have a small partition for just the WinXP - no installed applications, just use WinXP for the games and nothing else. That way you only have to maintain one side, the Vista side.

8. MercZire

MercZire Thread Starter

I don't like Vista. It's a dolled up XP with all the features scrambled into new and confusing places, all older programs and games have serious incompatibility issues, and even NEWER games have serious incompatibility issues with it.

I wanted to dual-boot so I could use XP, but then just hop over to Vista when I want to play a game in DirectX10, like Unreal Tournament 3, or Crysis, or Gears of War, etc etc.

I suppose I could partition the drive a little larger and ONLY install DX10 games on Vista, but even so...

9. ChuckE

ChuckE

As with any new OS, there are going to be differences. When I went from Win3.1 to Win95 there were differences I did not like, things were moved around from what I was comfortable and familiar with. When I progressed to WinNT, then WinXP, each time there were differences and every time I found things I did not like.

But! as I used them, I found out what I really did not like was not knowing how to use the new differences. But I do like challenges, and what I did not like became things I really do like.

There is an end in sight for WinXP. That is the best reason for getting off it, or at least, starting to learn how to use Vista. Eventually the compatibility issues will be resolved, or just go away as some older stuff falls from dis-use. Microsoft, while slow to get those issues speedily resolved, does want to get through the problems. They are learning that many people and businesses are not transitioning to Vista as fast as MS had hope, because of those issues.

Yes, there are some things in Vista I "do not like" ... Great! Time to learn.

Have fun.

10. natedogg319

natedogg319

uninstall the games that are for DX10 from the xp partition if its space your worried about.. after all will you really use them on xp after you see DX10 beauty?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

There's always the possibility of running XP (or Vista) inside a virtual machine. You could then just install one OS and have the other virtualized. No partitioning would be needed.

www.virtualbox.org

The problem I anticipate is speed. VM's can sometimes be slower than a native OS (though there are adjustments for priority). But it's easy to try and easy to undo if you don't like the results.

12. MercZire

MercZire Thread Starter

The problem is that even the DX10 games have issues with Vista, which is sad. Look at Hellgate: London. The DX10 engine, as opposed to the DX9 one, is beautiful but almost a hundred times buggier. Black screens and such galore. That's not entirely Microsoft's fault, sure, but the point is that even DX10 has flaws right now, and entirely switching over is gonna leave me trapped.

You can upgrade to Vista, but you can't downgrade to XP without a reformat.

On the other hand, Gears of War, Crysis, Viva Pinata, and UT3 are all coming out, and will have full, supposedly bug-free DX10. I WANT to like Vista, just for DX10. Most people can ignore Vista and go about their lives, but we gamers don't have that luxury. We have to worry about everything BUT gaming, and even gaming to a degree, when considering switching to Vista.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice