1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual-booting Windows 2000 + 95

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by reptile233, Jul 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reptile233

reptile233 Thread Starter

I currently have windows 2k installed on my computer. I have two hard drives. The bigger one (6 gb) is formatted in NTFS, and the smaller one (1.5 gb) is formatted in FAT32. Windows 2k is installed on the NTFS drive, and I just want to install windows 95 on the other drive (to make playing my old DOS games much easier). I've checked other places on the web, and I am under the impression that (in order to do this kind of dual boot) I have to install Windows 95 on the correct partition (in this case my smaller hard drive) first, and then I have to REINSTALL windows 2k.

I would think that it would be much easier than that. But can someone give me some details into what I have to do? I don't mind reinstalling windows 2k (if that's what I have to do), but I just want to know if I really have to. And when I reinstall windows 2k, would it just overwrite the old win 2k files?

It would be great if someone could give me some detailed instructions as to how to go about this operation, but if not, that's ok, because I'm sure I can figure it out. But I would like to know about my main question. Thank you for your time.

2. reptile233

3. Bman

Bman

I can offer a couple of suggestions... First, to install Win95 I believe you will have to reformat the drive to Fat16. Fat32 didn't come along until Win98. Second, in a dual boot scenario, the oldest OS needs to be installed first. If not, then you will you will need a boot manager. (ie. PowerQuest's BootMagic or try OSL2000 ) HTH

B :cool:

4. reptile233

If I install win 95 on the other drive, and then boot with that (if possible), then can i just reinstall win 2k on the other drive? The files should just overwrite the old ones right?

I can access an NTFS drive (by access, i mean select it when win 2k asks for a partition to install on) from windows 95? Right? I mean atleast just see it.

My only other question, is if I install windows 95 will it load 2k or will it load 95? if it starts windows 2k then I guess I would need a booting program.

5. Bman

Bman

Okay, Win95 will not be able to see anything NTFS. You should be able to see your Win95 stuff from 2000 though. If you install '95 and then reinstall 2000, you should get the option of which OS you want to boot (Win2k should be the default). It's been so long since I seen Win95 it is hard to remember what's what. Maybe someone else can help out.

B :cool:

6. reptile233

I have the B version of windows 95, so it should work with fat32. My only question is that when I install 95, will it revert to that OS on start up and when I reinstall windows 2000 will I be able to install to the NTFS drive? Thank you for helping Bman.

7. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Here is a M$ page regarding dual boot. After you have setup w95 you should be able to do a repair with your w2k setup disk. That should fix any problems associated with moving the drive.

8. unitedistand

unitedistand

something I saw from MS, however, is that in order to do a dual-boot system, neither drive can be NTFS. Since you're working with no harddrive larger then 10 gb, I don't see how this would be any sort of an issue.

9. reptile233

So, I install win 95, then it boots win 95. Then I run teh "repair" thingy from my win 2k disk. Right? And then I can choose to boot up win 2k or win 95 from there on out? Will it let me repair the other hard drive from within windows 95?

10. cybertech

Yes. You can change the boot.ini file to go into w2k or w95 first depending on what you want. Default set time is 30 seconds to choose what OS you want to boot to, you can change that later in w2k, control panel, system, advanced, startup and recovery.

In reference to unitedistand's post you have to have a DOS layer on the first drive or partition so w95 drive (in this case) needs to be first.

11. reptile233

So you're telling me it's possible to install windows 95 on my second drive (which has never had an OS on it before), load up win 95 then (I'm assuming that the comp will boot to win 95 after that), and then use the win 2k disc to repair my windows 2k on my first (and larger) drive which is formatted in NTFS (the second is in FAT32 allready). I can do all of this without any major problems?

12. cybertech

No not exactly. As I said the w95 hard drive needs to be the first boot. If you can alter the settings in the bios to boot to the second drive first it can remain the second drive.

quote from the M$ site I gave you
    If you want to multiple boot Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT, and Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me with MS-DOS, install MS-DOS first.

If you want the w2k disk (first drive) to remain unchanged you would need to use Partition Magic or similar to create a DOS partition on that drive. As I said the DOS layer has to come first in the boot process.

I can understand why you would want larger/faster drive to be first but you have to have the boot.ini file and that file will not get read if it's on the 2nd drive.

13. reptile233

Ok. So I make a DOS partition using a partition program. When I install windows 95 on that space, what will happen? Will the pc boot up into windows 95? And from there, can I run the "repair" option from the win 2k disc to get windows 2k back online?

14. cybertech

You could do that, but I wouldn't for fear of corrupting my w2k. But if you decide to go that route don't install w95 on that space, you can tell it to install on "D" or what ever your second drive is called.

Here's what I would do. Let's assume you have 2 hard drives running from the same cable to the motherboard. Drive 1 is currently W2k and Master. Drive 2 is slave. Swap them around. You will have to change the jumpers on them and make sure they are detected properly in the bios. Boot up and install w95. When things are working ok boot up to your w2k cd and choose repair it will then go and find the install on Drive 2 and make the necessary adjustments.

I hope if you have any data on w2k you have saved it prior to doing any of this!

15. reptile233

Ok, that sounds good. But how do I check if bios is detecting both drives correctly? Once I switch the drives, I will need to boot the drive up using my win 95 disk right? Otherwise, it won't load an OS cause its not the master anymore, right? Do I need to find a boot disk on the web for win 95 that lets me boot up with a cd, or will I allready be able to boot using a cd? I'm not familiar with installing an OS on a clean drive unfortunately, so it will be a new experience for me.

Any help you could give would be wonderful. Thanks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!