Dual Booting Windows 2000 and Windows ME

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rayi23

Hello. I am trying to figure out how to dual boot Windows 2000 and Windows ME? I know that you can partition your drive but is there a way to dual boot using a Master/ slave drive? This would be ideal for me. Any advice and/or good links would be greatly appreciated. This is actually for an older HP computer I have. thank you

What I would recommend doing is installing Windows Me on the slave drive first, making sure it is bootable and what not. Then installing Windows 2000 on the master drive. Windows 2000 should see the Windows Me installation and pick it up. Then when you go to boot your system the Windows Operating System loader will appear and it will ask you if you want to boot to "Windows 2000 Professional" or "Windows Me".

You could also use Norton PartitionMagic, it used to be PowerQuest PartitionMagic but now I think it is owned by Symantec.

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=sp&pvid=pm80

There is some information about Symantec/Norton PartitionMagic.

rayi23

I already have Windows ME installed. Can I just set the drive to Slave and then Install Windows 2000 on the master drive? I haven't installed Windows 2000 yet

rayi23

I did try just setting Win2000 to master and WinME to slave but I don't get a message to boot in WinME; Win2000 in properties startup doesn't see anything else;so there must be some other setting somewhere: BIOS maybe. Both drives are formated to FAT32. I am missing some idea here of what I am doing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online