Dual booting Windows 7 RC and Windows Vista SP1

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gamewolf

I am dualbooting Windows 7 and Vista. So far everything is running perfect. The only thing I am having a problem with is running programs from my Vista partition.

One game won't start at all and Steam tries to open, but then says it can't find a key. How can I run programs from my Vista partition without having to reinstall? I don't have a lot of space to spare. That one game I was trying to run takes 7 GB.

Thanks.

You don't. The only way to run a program in 7 is to install it into 7. The drivers, auxiliary files, application data and so on can't be used from an operating system that is not loaded.

In most cases you can install to the same folder though, so you won't have to duplicate the Program files. Any system files installed to the Windows tree will be installed for each OS.
The program has to allow you to change the install location for this to work.

Potential problems:
If you uninstall from either OS, you'll have to re-install on the other OS.
Installing updates/patches, may have to be done twice, once from each OS.
To uninstall, you have to uninstall from one OS, then re-install on the other OS, then uninstall from the other OS.
This may have to be done in reverse order as well: uninstall from the 2nd OS, then re-install on the 1st OS, then uninstall from the first OS.

If the program has different support files for each OS that are stored in the program folder, but they are named the same, you can't share the install folder. Only way to tell is to install into the 2nd OS and see if it stopped working on the 1st OS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online