Dual Booting Windows XP with Windows 98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wakenaam

Friends: I have 2 hard drives, one with my data running Windows XP and the other also with data running Windows 98. Right now it is set to boot off the Windows XP drive. Is there an easy way I can set up a dual-boot system to give me a choice on boot-up without clean-installing either OSs? I don't want to lose my data on either drive. Thanks for any help.

techkid

David
It should do that automatically.

Right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced. Click on the 'Settings' button under "Startup and Recovery'. Click on the 'Edit' button under "System startup'. What is the contents?

Wakenaam

Techkid: Thanks for your response. Here are the contents of the boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Don't know if this helps. Thanks again.

Wakenaam

Wonderful People: I found a really elegant software called GAG from SourceForge which gives a graphical choice on start-up of up to 9 operating systems. It can be booted from a floppy too, so you can bypass the process if needs to. Many thanks for your help. Appreciate. Cheers!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online