1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual booting with Windows/Ubuntu crshed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Elcondi, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elcondi

Elcondi Thread Starter

My eMachines laptop with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04(LTS) has stopped booting un-expetedly after trying to resize the Linux partition. The Windows rescue disk is ineffective and Ubuntu does not reinstall. opensolaris installs from Live CD, but I cannot see my previous folders or files in Windows or Ubuntu.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you installed opensolaris did you delete or use the partitions that had contained Windows and Ubuntu?

3. Elcondi

Elcondi Thread Starter

There were four partitions, two of 0 GB size, one 13 GB and a large one of 219GB. I increased the 13 GB partition to 60 GB, which decreased the large partition to 172 GB and installed opensolaris in the 60 GB partition.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The files in the 13 GB partition (I assume Ubuntu) are lost, although you could try Data Recovery software and maybe retrieve some files. The files in the larger partition should still be fine, but there are no guarantees that everything will survive partitioning work.

It's always advised to defragment Windows partitions before shrinking the size.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

The files in the larger partition will also likely be lost since if they actually resided in the 47Gb that got reallocated......

6. Elcondi

Elcondi Thread Starter

Thanks. How can opensolaris be deleted and Windows 7 reinstalled from the Recovery discs, please?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Boot to the first Recovery disk, delete the partition(s) now there and create whatever partition(s) are needed for the recovery. The recovery process may create the needed partitions, but you may have to first delete the existing partitions.

8. Elcondi

Elcondi Thread Starter

The restore type available Completely restores system to factory defaults. There is no other restore option. This may be ok if I could try Data Recovery software and maybe retrieve some files.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, try it. I do not have any knowledge to refer you to stand alone or Linux based recovery programs.

10. Elcondi

Elcondi Thread Starter

It would be great if the Windows Documents and files (apart from the system files) could be recovered. The program files could be reinstalled later.

11. DaveBurnett

12. Elcondi

Elcondi Thread Starter

I tried the Recovery Disk 1 boot recovery. A Notice displays: " Restore failed - Error code = 0x3ed (The volume does not contain a recognised file system. Make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted)

13. DaveBurnett

TESTDISK will tell you what file system IS on the disk and will ask if you want to attempt to repair a faulty one.
    It does nothing without asking if you are sure so is completely safe to use.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If TESTDISK doesn't work for you, and the Recovery disk will not delete the partition(s), you can use (for example) GParted to do the partitioning work. Format NTFS for any partitions you create for Windows XP or later.

15. Elcondi

Elcondi Thread Starter

Have tried to do Windows 7 Recovery to factory defaut setting, which has not been successful and may have deleted all the data files. The error message is 0x3e4.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1128690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice