1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Booting XP & 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by doop, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doop

doop Thread Starter

I've got two hard drives, one 80gb divided into two equal partitions, and the other drive's just for storage.

So my main drive has 2k on it, and nothing on the second partition. I want to install XP on that second partition but I've never even installed an OS, let alone to dual boot....but I'm feeling brave (mostly because I've got an unattended setup disc!)

If someone could help me answer these questions, then I should be good to go -

1. Is there a difference between the second partition (which I was previously using to store video files), and a partition that can run an OS? In other words can I just install straight onto that partition or do I have to 'prepare' it for an OS?

2. I've been told that I don't need to get any extra software to help me do this. If I don't need any software then I'd rather not install some, but I might want to reorganise the partitions to add another OS at a later date. From what I've read a partition manager could be handy in that respect....?

The previous owner originally partitioned the drive with Partition Magic, so should I use that? He used it to partition and then discarded it, so I don't have it now. I can get it if it's needed though, would it be best to have the exact same version that he used or the new one?

3. I know I had a third question, but I can't remember what it is, so hopefully something will jog my memory....

btw, I've searched a little bit for info about partitioning and dual/multi booting but I haven't really got time to wade through search results to find good sites, so any links will be most gratefully clicked.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just boot with your xp cd [cd set as first boot device in the bios] Install xp on the partition you want. It will overwrite some files that are on the root of the primary partition; these being ntldr and ntdetec.com along with modding the boot.ini file. This is all done for you by xp setup; just choose which partition you want and you are good to go.

You do not need any third party app to install the dual boot system. You will have a boot menu installed by setup for you. It will give a choice of os to load on bootup.

3. doop

doop Thread Starter

wow excellent !!

....it's really that easy?

4. doop

doop Thread Starter

I've got a problem.... :(

INF file txtsetup.sif is missing or corrupt. What do I do?

I've searched, but it looks like a bit of a minefield, so can anyone help me out?

5. doop

doop Thread Starter

Well I just opted for a different XP setup and it's fine. The disc I was using must have been the problem.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325595

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice