Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dual booting XP after cloning to HD

736 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ibdman 
#1 ·
I'm running into problem dual booting 2 copies of XP installed on a single drive. I started with a brand new PC with one 120GB hard drive & Windows XP Home edition. 1st I installed PartitionMagic & Drive Image. Next, using PartitionMagic I resized the original (from the factory) Windows XP partition (NTFS) down from about 120GB to about 20GB and labeled it "XP1". This left about 100MB of unallocated space on the hard drive. Next, using Drive Image, I created an image file of the "XP1" partition. Then, again using Drive Image, I restored the image of "XP1" into the unallocated space thereby creating a new partition with a second copy of XP. Next, using PartitionMagic, I labeled this new partition "XP2" and resized it to use the remaining unallocated space which makes it about 100GB in size. I can boot to either partition using PartitionMagic. To do so I set "XP1" as active and "XP2" as hidden and boot into "XP1". As well, I can now set "XP2" as active and "XP1" as hidden and boot into "XP2" but I'm seeing evidence of certain things from "XP1" showing up in "XP2". For instance, any user accounts created in "XP1" (AFTER the aforementioned cloning process was done) will show up in "XP2" when "XP2" is booted with "XP1" hidden. Also, programs that were installed in "XP1" (again AFTER the aforementioned cloning process) will show up in the populated list of "Add or Remove Programs" in "XP2" even though they are not actually installed and appear nowhere on the "XP2" partition. I did not know these things were possible if one partition is active and the other is hidden. Obviously, the cloning procedure I used is the wrong way to do it. If anybody can tell me how to fix this situation without starting over, please advise. Otherwise, how can you clone XP to the same hard drive & dual boot them without going through a reinstall process. Many thanks in advance for any help from anyone.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.