1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dual booting xp and vista on two hardrives with vista installed

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by freckles04, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freckles04

freckles04 Thread Starter

Ok, I have just purchased a new hp media center pc that came preloaded with Windows Vista. I have come to find out that a lot of my programs that I use on a day to day base are not Vista compatible. I own the Pro version of Windows XP and would like to dual boot from 2 hard drives. Vista is currently located on one and I use the other for data storage. I would like to put XP Pro on my data storage hard drive. I also have a problem. I did not receive a Vista DVD with my computer so a fresh reinstall will not work. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. crestonave

crestonave

I recently purchased a new machine on which I'm running Vista. I salvaged the hard drive from my old machine and I'm using it as an external hard drive. The XP operating system is also still installed on the old hard drive. It's connected as local disk (K). There are a number of programs on the K drive that I'd like to have access to. Of course when I go to start/all programs on the "new" computer (C drive) it's only showing me the programs that are installed on the C drive. How can I get the programs from the K drive to appear in the list? Do I have to move them individually to the C drive? Can I get them to appear selectively?

Thanks for your help and advice, Happy Holidays.

For what it's worth, I bought my new machine from cyberpower pc and I'm very satisfied with the computer and with their technical support. No problems with Vista, either. I kinda like it.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Welcome to the TSG forum.
    For your HP Media Center 8020n ... You must burn your own recovery DVDs.
    Use a good quality DVD for this .. You only have one chance to do this.

Can't Vista run the programs in a XP compatibility mode ??

I'd remove all the drives .. Install a new one ... and install XP in it.
    When you re-connect the other drives ... Tap the escape key during boot up ...
    and you will enter the boot loader... Where you can choose which drive to boot from.
    otherwise .. It will default to the drive connected to the Mobo SATA port 0

You will have to install your programs to the XP drive.

You can remove the internal mounting cage for the HP USB personal Storage ...
    And you will find the 4 mounting holes for a third Internal SATA Drive.

My Disc 0 is my working XP MCE .. Disc 1 is a backup XP MCE .. and Disc 2 is Vista HP

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/665032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice