1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dual booting Xp with windows 98

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by villin86, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. villin86

villin86 Thread Starter

just wondering about the dual booting. ive currently got windows xp installed and im wanting to do a dual boot with windows 98. if it can be done. i have a 80 gig hard drive and its partitioned into 3 sections. am i able to use my one (partitioned) hard drive to do the dual boot. if so how do i do the dual boot???
    :) :)

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, it can be done; however it is somewhat involved. The drive you have partitioned is it ntfs or fat32 at this time? If it is all ntfs, then you will need something like Partition Magic to convert the drive to fat32. XP can [and should] use ntfs, however the partition that you install win9x on will have to be fat32.

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

It is also far easier if you install the XP last. It has it's own boot manager built in. It can recognize the older 98 version (if it is installed first) and set-up the dual boot automatically.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post back with drive info and I will post instructions on how to install win9x after xp. I need to know what file system you are using.

5. villin86

villin86 Thread Starter

ok well this is the drive settup

Drive: C:
    Free Space: 5.9 GB
    Total Space: 10.0 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: WDC WD800JB-00ETA0

Drive: D:
    Free Space: 9.8 GB
    Total Space: 10.0 GB

Drive: E:
    Free Space: 52.5 GB
    Total Space: 56.3 GB

Thanx crjdriver and longhair

6. Firah

Firah

7. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

The biggest problem you are facing is in the file system.
    You will have to have a partition that is FAT32 for the Windows 98 OS.
    I'm pretty sure that Win98 needs to be on the C drive, or it won't boot.
    Win XP doesn't care what drive letter it is on.

I know it can be done with Win98 installed after WinXP, but it is far easier the other way.

As it looks now I would assume that your WinXP is on the C drive and that there is very little on either of the other partitions.

As it is, I would transfer your personal data to the E drive
    Format the C drive (FAT32) and install Win98 there
    Install WinXP on the D drive after Win98 is working on C
    Then you can move your data back to the D drive, if you wish

Be aware that the Win98 (when booted) will not be able to use or even recognize any of the rest of the hard drive. It will be isolated from the NTFS drives. However, you will be able to "see" and even transfer data from the Win98 drive if the WinXP is booted.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Both the C drive [because it must contain boot info for win9x] and the drive you want to install win9x to must be fat32. If you do not want to convert C to fat32, you can use a third party boot loader.

What I would do in your case [if you really must have win9x] would be to backup everything you want to keep and zero fill the drive. Now boot with a win9x boot disk and create a primary partition of 5-10 gig for win9x; leave the rest unallocated. After you have win9x up and running; boot with the xp cd and create a partition in the unallocated space. Install xp; it will install a boot loader for you.

9. villin86

villin86 Thread Starter

ok so id have to reformat my hard drive... what if i got another hard drive and installed that with fat 32 and windows 98. windows 98 is basicly only going to be used for old games so i wont need it to recognise the other files. but one other question will i be able to save stuff from the ntfs to the fat 32 (eg from win xp to win98)??

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, you can copy files from xp to the partition / drive that win9x is installed on. If you got another drive to install win9x, you will still have the problem of the boot drive must be fat32 [unless you want the new drive to be the boot drive, then you will need to repair xp]. If you want to do it that way, a third party boot manager would be the best way to go.

11. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

You will need a 3rd party boot loader to use seperate drives.
    On the other question,
    No you can't move the NTFS files to the Win98(FAT32) drive.
    When the Win98 is the booted(running)drive, you will not even be able to see the NTFS drive.

You could however have a FAT32 partition on the WinXP(NTFS) drive. Your Win98 should recognize it. Then transfer the files to that partition. The next time you boot to the WinXP you could move them to where you really want them to be.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

My post was probably not clear; you can use xp to copy win9x files. Just not the other way around. XP can see win9x; win9x cannot see xp unless it is fat32 or over a network.

13. villin86

villin86 Thread Starter

ok. so id prolly be best to back up my stuff, and format my drives as fat 32....
    still wondering about installing a second drive though. if i put another drive in as fat32 make that the booting drive and install win98 on it....

14. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

That will work fine, but you still need a third party boot loader to make it happen. Otherwise it will boot to the primary master and ignore the fact that the other hard drive is even bootable.

15. villin86

villin86 Thread Starter

excalent. which boot loader do u recomend??

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!