Dual Celeron Processors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Regicide

I am upgrading 3 computers to AMD Athlon XP 1.8GHz. Right now they all have Celeron Socket 370, 800MHz, 66MHz FSB, and 64 MB of RAM. Now, I have nothing to do with these old processors. I have read that it is possible to get a motherboard that will support 2 celerons. I have read about the Abit BP6 440BX. I am pretty sure that is what I want. The only problem is that I can't find it anywhere! So, I was wondering if anyone knows a place to find either the Abit or any motherboard that supports dual celerons. Mind you, I am going to overclocking the heck out of these pieces (which is why I love the Abit, easy overclocking). Any help would be appreciated.

Triple6

Rob
I would guess EBAY might be the only place to find such things as such boards would not have manufactured by anyone in recent years. You'll also need an operating system that supports the use of multiple processors such as Windows NT/2000/XP or a version of Linux. Also don't expect double the performance of a single CPU.

Regicide,

I have a 1975 Cadillac powered by twin '75 Pinto Engines that I'd like to sell you. ;^)))

Regicide

Ok, I know that celerons are pieces. But, I really wanna do this because it would be funny. I want to overclock the hell out of it and then run a couterstrike server. I know not to expect double the performance. I know the benefits and what not. I'm really doing it because it will be fun. Plus, it beats the server we're running now: a P3 600 MHz.

Hello...

If my memory servers me correctly, that version of the celeron process is not MP capable. Only certain P3's were during the 800MHz era.

You might want to have a look at the intel site and look up your process by CPU ID and see if it is MP capable or not. I honestly don't think it is.

Shane

Regicide

You're right pinntech. Intel has released information saying that they didn't design the celeron for dual processing capability. This is from Intel's website:
While some motherboard manufacturers purportedly have designed motherboards for dual processing, the Intel® Celeron® processor, per our design specifications, is verified for uniprocessing only. Contact the motherboard manufacturer directly for support of these installations.
The motherboard I am looking at supports dual celeron processors. And, just to make sure, I did some research and never found anyone with problems other than software issues.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts