1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Celeron Processors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Regicide, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Regicide

Regicide Thread Starter

I am upgrading 3 computers to AMD Athlon XP 1.8GHz. Right now they all have Celeron Socket 370, 800MHz, 66MHz FSB, and 64 MB of RAM. Now, I have nothing to do with these old processors. I have read that it is possible to get a motherboard that will support 2 celerons. I have read about the Abit BP6 440BX. I am pretty sure that is what I want. The only problem is that I can't find it anywhere! So, I was wondering if anyone knows a place to find either the Abit or any motherboard that supports dual celerons. Mind you, I am going to overclocking the heck out of these pieces (which is why I love the Abit, easy overclocking). Any help would be appreciated.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would guess EBAY might be the only place to find such things as such boards would not have manufactured by anyone in recent years. You'll also need an operating system that supports the use of multiple processors such as Windows NT/2000/XP or a version of Linux. Also don't expect double the performance of a single CPU.

3. winbob

winbob

Regicide,

I have a 1975 Cadillac powered by twin '75 Pinto Engines that I'd like to sell you. ;^)))

4. brite750

brite750

what's 2 x zero = ???

5. Regicide

Regicide Thread Starter

Ok, I know that celerons are pieces. But, I really wanna do this because it would be funny. I want to overclock the hell out of it and then run a couterstrike server. I know not to expect double the performance. I know the benefits and what not. I'm really doing it because it will be fun. Plus, it beats the server we're running now: a P3 600 MHz.

6. pinntech

pinntech

Hello...

If my memory servers me correctly, that version of the celeron process is not MP capable. Only certain P3's were during the 800MHz era.

You might want to have a look at the intel site and look up your process by CPU ID and see if it is MP capable or not. I honestly don't think it is.

Shane

7. Regicide

Regicide Thread Starter

You're right pinntech. Intel has released information saying that they didn't design the celeron for dual processing capability. This is from Intel's website:
    The motherboard I am looking at supports dual celeron processors. And, just to make sure, I did some research and never found anyone with problems other than software issues.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice