1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Channel DDR

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gws226, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gws226

gws226 Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I just recently scored myself a new motherboard in anticipation of installing a new 800FSB P4.

I'm looking into the pricing of running Dual Channel 512mg sticks of PC3200 ram...

I've noted that the price differences hover about 35-40% more between the 2. (being the dual channel supported DDR memory versus the plain jane PC3200)

Now my question is... is it really that much faster to justify the significant additional dent its going to make in my wallet?

Would a dual channel setup of 256x2 (512mg) hold its own against 512x2 (1gig) of its non-dual channel counterpart...

They are about the same price...

2. active95

active95

Well it depends what OS you are running..... In windoze will not see a big improvement with 1 gig of RAM . Usualy best performance ( sorta ) vs price is around 512 megs. Will see a improvement if you are using Adobe or video editing or other memory hungry proggie.
    If you using Linux.. well that's a different story. Little penguin does use the extra ram bettter then windoze.. So should see an improvement.
    If you are wondering about " made for dual channel " vs " plain 'ol " PC 3200... the dual channel ram are supposed to be "hand pick" and guarantee to work from the get go. vs plain 'ol PC 3200 which can give you problems if run in a dual channel mode.
    Honestly i would pay extra for the dual channel ram ... that way you're pretty sure that the problem which you might encouter are not RAM related.
    HTH

3. gws226

gws226 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Active95

Yes it I am dozing with XP.
    Unfortunately I do entcounter instances where my current configuration (512mg PC2700) goes to page file.

My plan all along was to merely purchase another 256mg to surpress the pagefile instances with my older P4 Motherboard. Now it seems like a waste to build a Dual Channel DDR rig of 768mg (256x2 +128x2.) You know that those 2 128mg chips are going in the garbage the next time you upgrade. It seems like the only logical move is to purchase 512x2... to cover the pagefile issues... as well keep 2 remaining bays open for the day that more memory is need...

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I tried dual-channel DDR operation in my EPOX 8RDA MB, but I can't see much difference in benchmarks or real-world operation.

5. gws226

gws226 Thread Starter

I've heard it both ways Johnwill... In my investigations I have yet to find a motherboard that they actually compared the dual channel against the non-dual straightup...

I think I'm gonna splruge and get 1 stick of 256mg non-dual on the cheap to up my total ram to 768mg as opposed spending $170 for 512mg or *zoinks! almost $300 for 1 gig off the dual channel approved stuff...

thanks for all the input everyone!

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I had a 512mb PC2700 module in this one, and I removed it and replaced with two 256mb PC2700 modules for my test. I didn't have "dual channel approved" memory. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163858

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice