1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Channel & Triple Channel Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shiphted, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shiphted

Shiphted Thread Starter

Hello forum first time here. I have a rather important question.

I currently have Corsair Vengeance memory in my PC

This memory is Triple Channel

I also have 8GB of GsKill dual channel memory. Since i have 1 extra slot left on my Mobo i was gonna use 1 of my old GsKill sticks to give my PC 14GB of ram. There identical except brand and dual / triple channel. Does Dual / Triple channel prevent these from working together?

Thanks in advance.
    Jason

Corsair Memory Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233146&Tpk=CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9
    G.SKILL Memory Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193&Tpk=F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

2. Shiphted

Shiphted Thread Starter

any replies?

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The Crosshair V in your specs supports dual channel mode, not triple channel. Just because manufacturers put three sticks of RAM in a package and call it a triple channel kit doen't mean your computer can use it.

Because you currently have three sticks of RAM installed, it may not even be running in dual channel mode since some motherboards wont run dual channel with an odd number of sticks. In that case you would be probably be better off to remove one of the three that you have now, or add one more stick that is identical or close to it.

4. Shiphted

Shiphted Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. Whats the best way to figure out what channel there operating in?

5. Shiphted

Shiphted Thread Starter

Well AMD overdrive states its in dual channel mode.

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

OK, that is good. You can try adding the G.Skill stick, and see if it continues to run in dual channel mode (though I suspect it won't). Also look at the memory clock speed, before and after.

7. Shiphted

Shiphted Thread Starter

I added the G.SKill stick and it still is showing dual channel. As far as teh memory clock goes i cant figure out exactly where to check it but according to amd overdrive its saying 800 but it allows me to adjust it eventhough i havnt..

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1014337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice