1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual-channel vs. Single-channel memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DKTaber, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

My current computer, which I bought late 2004, came with 512MB dual-channel RAM. Because of the 70 updates to Win XP that have occurred since then, with their attendant security crap that burdens the system, I decided today to double my RAM to 1GB. I did that by buying a single 512MB PC 3200 DIMM.

However, my PC has 2 pairs of memory slots. The original 512MB were installed as two 256MB DIMMs, one in one slot in each pair of slots so it was accessed as "dual-channel" RAM. My ASUS MoBo book says that if you insert a SINGLE DIMM in any slot, the entire memory will be addressed as single-channel. So my question is, what's the difference in speed between dual- and single-channel memory? Am I cheating my computer out of higher memory speed by installing a single 512MB DIMM vs. using two 256MB DIMMs which would run as dual-channel memory?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, although the actual effect may not be that noticeable. You are cutting the memory bandwidth in half.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/559931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice