1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual core Athlon crashes randomly while using web, but is stable on single core

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by searcher13, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. searcher13

searcher13 Thread Starter

System specs:
    Athlon 64 x2 6000+ Windsor (3ghz, 125W tdp)
    Gigabyte GA-Ma770DS3 rev 1 (AMD770+SB600)
    His radeon 4850 512MB (had 3870 before)
    2x1GB Kingston DDR2 800mhz CL5
    2xSeagate ST3500 418AS in RAID 0 on SB600
    Chieftec 460W power supply.
    LG DVD rewriter
    Bunch of fans
    Windows XP pro 32bit x2, windows 7 (temporary)

I'm having a strange problem from quite a long time. PC just reboots randomly when I use internet applications like p2p or browser. It's that I can click "favorities" in firefox and puff, reboot. Leave pc for a night - reeboot at 3 o'clock. I tried to find the cause, updated drivers, bios, reinstalled windows several times - still getting the random crashes. But, if I use the numproc=1 statement and run my PC as single core, it stays perfectly stable for week+. But sadly the low power mode doesn't work then, and CPU is getting hotter than in dual core mode, also uses more energy. However, I don't think the low power mode isn't the cause - ran a prime95 for half a day on processor tuned down to 1ghz and 1,1V (low power mode) without a crash. Ran memtest in dos mode for 8 hours - no problems.
    Also I have secondary XP pro without NIC drivers installed (no web) just for gaming and I can play for 12 hours straight and never got any crash of this kind. On the the primary OS, open two windows, start unpacking archive and try to browse web and I get a crash in 3 minutes. But sometimes nothing happens for a week or so. Also I noticed following problems:
    - disk read error, not enough system resources to finish the task (various p2p programs say that)
    - explorer windows disappearing (closing), usually when trying to use search on already loaded system.
    - system locking down (blank display, cursor freezes) when switching users, but in most cases
    recoverable via external management (log into console from another pc, force logoff the user x, display is back to normal)
    - crashed on vista after 30 minutes of usage
    None of above happens when using the single core (but one of my applications won't start then for some reason). Running out of ideas I tried to set all possible exes in windows folder to uniprocesor with imagecfg, but got a nice bluescreens (not surprised though).
    Graphic card was replaced recently, also I had this problem on previous hard drive (though not so recently happening).
    Temps (in celsius) are: ambient 30, CPU in iddle 30 (weird but true) 50max, system 32-37, voltages always in the ATX specs with vcore dropping to 1,1V in low power mode.

I know it's something dual core and internet related, but can't figure what that could be. Is it software bug? Or maybe a hardware malfunction?
    The only pieces I can think now to be faulty are processor (but it passes all the tests?) or the motherboard itself. Anything I can try before buying a half of new computer?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice